17. The Conversation

"I think we should talk to them separately first," Callie said setting her stuff down beside Brandon. It was lunch and they had made plans to discuss a game plan in the music room. 

"Moms won't like being pitted against each other," Brandon replied, shaking his head.

"Well we aren't pitting them against each other and we will pull them together, but I think I need to tell Stef by myself. I think it would be better if I talked to Stef and you spoke to Lena first and we told them," she took a breath, "We told them how we feel for each other and that we love and respect them. They need to see this isn't some act of teenage rebellion or a hormonal surge"

"I mean hormones play a part," Brandon said smirking at Callie, she glared at him, "So we do the whole thing separate?" this made Brandon nervous. He wasn't afraid of his moms but there was something about the prospect of having Callie there when they told moms that brought him ease but Callie shook her head. 

"No, just the initial telling. How we love them both and how we know there are rules but we still love each other. That we tried to move on and it just ended up not being fair to the people we were with."

"How much are we telling them about what has gone on so far?" Callie paused for a minute and Brandon continued, "I think we need to be completely honest. I don't want to lie to them, I'm so over lying to them."

Callie nodded. The spent the rest of lunch in a fair amount of silence mulling over what they would say. 

In fact, before they got home that afternoon Callie had written on a note card everything she wanted to say to Stef. She kept her hand on her pocket as she walked into the house with Brandon following closely behind. 

"Moms?" Brandon called out, setting his back pack on the floor, 

"In here!" Stef's voice came back, he could hear Lena laughing, this may be a good sign, he looked over at Callie. She looked almost ill for a second, then in the next she put on a brave face and they walked through the hallway and just before they reached the kitchen Brandon grabbed her hand and they squeezed once. The change in Callie was immediate, a rush of warmth filled her, and she knew more than she ever had before that she was doing the right thing here. The right thing for them at least. 

"Hey, how was school?" Lena asked, she was cutting vegetables as Stef picked them off the cutting board and ate them raw. 

"Good," or some form of that came drudging out of Brandon and Callie's mouth. Brandon looked at Callie once and nodded encouragingly,

"Actually, um, Stef could I talk to you outside?" Stef looked surprised and she an Lena exchanged a look before she kissed her on the cheek and walked outside. When the door shut, Lena turned to Brandon,

"What's that all about?" Brandon took a deep breath,

"I need to tell you something,"

Stef followed Callie to the back porch. 

"What's going on Cal?" Callie was taking several deep breaths. She pulled the note card out of her pocket and smoothed it over on her pants for glancing down at it. 

"I'm sure you already know, how much I love you and Lena," Stef looked at her strangely,

"Yeah hun, of course we do," Stef placed her hand on Callie's back, 

"Before I came here to you guys, I didn't ever want to love anything that could be taken from me. Everything was temporary. People, relationships, except for Jude I didn't want to care for anything. I thought I was fine. Then I came here, and you welcomed me and Jude. You took us in and you showed me so much about what it is to love others and how valuable that is," Callie's voice was breaking, and tears were forming in her eyes,