Scene 3

SCENE 3

Bennie's Residence

TODD's cursing is cut short from CALEB on his Bass guitar, noisily strumming the strings and finishing it abruptly with TODD entering the room. BENNIE is laying on the floor, drinking a can of Monster energy drink, slurping it as TODD enters.

BENNIE

You're late. Also, was David unavailable?

TODD

David couldn't come. And what's worse is that I accidentally ran over Mrs. Garry's cat.

CALEB stops playing his bass guitar.

BENNIE

What!?

CALEB

Damn.

BENNIE

When did this happen?!

TODD

Just a few minutes ago. I have its dead body in a plastic bag buried somewhere-

CALEB

Wait, the dead cat is in a plastic bag?

BENNIE

Is this the main reason why you're here to talk about you killing a cat?!

TODD

No. that is not the main reason why I'm here.

CALEB

What is the reason, then?

BENNIE

It's about Marlie. He wants to ask her out-

CALEB

Marlie?! Jesus, the poor cat's death is more tragic than your pathetic love life. You're in deep water for killing an old lady's cat.

TODD

Does it look like I care?! Mrs. Garry probably has Alzheimer's. She won't remember.

CALEB

You're messed up.

BENNIE

Todd has a point. She's soft in the head.

CALEB

Okay, but I'm not gonna accept the fact that Mr. Romero here just killed a freakin cat. By the way, which cat was it?!

TODD

Does Mrs. Garry have more cats?

BENNIE

You didn't know? There's three.

CALEB

Mr. White, Spot, and Tybalt. Mr. White is- you know. Spot is the one with a huge spot on his back. Tybalt is the black one.

TODD

It was a black one.

CALEB

You killed Tybalt?! Actually, I'm cool with that. I never really liked Tybalt. How did you kill him?

TODD

It was an accident! I accidentally ran over it! Can we stop talking about the stupid cat? Bennie? Can you help?

BENNIE

(to CALEB)

I told him that we were gonna try to help him with asking her out-

CALEB

Bennie, do I look like I'm an expert at picking up girls?! I don't even talk to one!

BENNIE

Dude, this is serious. Todd is just... terrible at it. I heard him say things that sounded nothing like asking a girl out. I heard him say that he has been "watching her" and "her body."

CALEB

(to TODD)

Dude, Psychopaths say those kinds of things to their victims. Are you a Psychopath? Actually, scratch that. You just became one. You killed a cat for goodness sake!

TODD

Look, Caleb, this is something I need help with. I just want your options. Since the dance is coming next week, I want to plan on taking her there-

CALEB

(to TODD)

Woah, time out. Time out. Homecoming!? You wanna take her to homecoming?!

BENNIE

Todd, that is a terrible plan. Homecoming at our school sucks. Also, you have no chance of getting her.

CALEB

Todd, do you know how popular Marlie Lennon is? She is like, way above, your type. She's a Socialite.

BENNIE

Correction, she's a Party Pooper. She's like honey with flies. She's the honey and you're one of the flies. I don't think she even wants to go out with a guy who kills cats-

TODD

Leave the cat out of this!

CALEB

Okay, Cat killer, riddle me this, Does she even know you exist? Have you ever talked to her? And lastly, does she like Quinoa? Fact: You always gotta ask a girl if they like Quinoa.

TODD face is filled with confusion.

TODD

What? What the hell is Quinoa?

CALEB

It's plant food. And it's bloody delicious. White girls love Quinoa.

TODD

Marlie isn't even white.

CALEB

Marlie's not white?

BENNIE

She's black.

An awkward silence fills the room.

CALEB

Um... you know what? Just forget what I said. I'm gonna go downstairs and get myself something from the kitchen. Sorry, Todd, I can't help you.

CALEB leaves the room.

BENNIE

(to TODD)

Todd, this isn't something we should help you with. You should do it yourself.

TODD

Bennie, I seriously don't know what to do. I've known her since first grade. She's like, the only girl I have a crush on.

BENNIE

Does she know you?

TODD

That, I am worried about. I don't know.

BENNIE

Todd, You shouldn't be worried about this. I mean, like with me and Ava. Do you know Ava?

TODD

Ava Vayler? The one that rejected you-

BENNIE

First of all, She didn't reject me. She "friended" me. Dude, just give it a shot. Even if it doesn't end it in your way, at least you told her how you felt.

TODD

Are you sure?

BENNIE

Yes. I mean, how hard can it be?