Aftermath

With another quick kiss, he backed up, sliding back into his chair next to my bed and clutched my hand tightly.

"I'm so sorry that I got you involved in all of this. It's my fault for getting too close to you." He started sadly. "You nearly died, all because of my past."

I shook my head and shuffled up as best as I could.

"No, it's not your fault. It's mine." I said firmly. "One of the men, he was there that day in London... the one in the hoodie."

Jett looked straight ahead, and I could see him searching for the memory, then the moment that he caught on to what I was saying.

"He worked for Jackson." He mumbled.

I nodded, a tear now rolling down my cheek.

"I'm so sorry." I whispered.

He looked completely confused as he stared at me.

"What the hell for?" He asked in surprise.

"If we hadn't gone to London to settle Carl's debt, they'd have never found you." I stated.

He sighed and shook his head.

"Yes they would have. Jackson wasn't going to give up until he found me. I knew the day would come, just didn't know it would be now, or like this." He replied, gesturing at me. "I can understand if you can't forgive me." He added solemnly.

He hung his head, sadness evident in every line of his face. It damn near broke my heart, seeing him so defeated. I reached out, tipping his chin up, forcing him to look at me.

"There's nothing to forgive. I don't care how it happened, I just care that you're safe. That you're here." I said firmly, and clearly.

His responding look was one of such gratitude and relief. He smiled broadly and kissed my hand once again, then held it against his heart, where I felt the slow and steady, reassuring beat against my skin.

"Thank you." He whispered, his eyes locked with mine.

I smiled back, and opened my mouth to ask the one question that was bothering me. But before it could come out, a doctor stepped into the room.

"Miss Summers, it's good to see you up." She said brightly, sweeping into the room. "I'm Doctor Greene, I've been heading up your treatment since your arrival."

She was a pretty, young woman, dressed in doctors scrubs, her cherry red hair was tied up in an elegant bun with a short fringe that hung loose, draping slightly over her right eye. Reaching the end of the bed, she picked up my chart and began to look it over. She proceeded to talk me through my various minor injuries from both the accident and the damage from the shooting. Jett didn't release my hand through the entire ordeal, clutching onto me as though I were a balloon that could drift off if he lightened his hold. I was surprised to find out that I'd been unconscious for two days, even more shocked when she announced that I'd flatlined on more than one occasion. My eyes had darted to Jett when she told me that, and I watched him instantly pale, clearly still tormented by the experience. I could only imagine how heartbreaking it was for him to be in that same position again. Holding onto the dying body of someone close to him. I zoned out at the thought, and missed a load of medical jargon that she began to reel off.

"Miss Summers?"

"Huh?" I said, jolting back to attention and shaking off the thoughts in my head.

She smiled, chuckling slightly, clearly realising that I'd not been listening to what she'd just said.

"I'd find it hard to concentrate too after everything you've been through." She started, "I was saying that you will need plenty of rest, and zero stress. You had very serious surgery, it takes time to heal from that. However, all of your checks since have come back great, and we expect you to make a full recovery." She finished with a happy flourish.