A Very Avenger Christmas: Chapter One

New York winters had always been a harrowing experience. The daylight hours were spent inside various coffee shops, tucked away in dark corners and slumped in a chair to avoid the attention of the baristas; the night was spent cowering and shaking in the doorway of some unsuspecting apartment until the sun peaked over the horizon—unless its occupant left early and cursed her out to the next street.

Marie huddled into her jacket, moving along with the holiday crowds. Why the masses of people around her decided visiting New York was the best (and, apparently, only) way to spend the holiday season, she had no idea.

Every store window was crowded with bright lights, green wreaths, snowmen, red sleds, and more. Millions of shopping bags weighed down both men and women alike—those who were empty handed looked panicked and stopped in every store they passed.

Marie rolled her eyes as another person hid her with their hoard of bags. She muttered several curses and shoved past them. She jumped into the gutter to avoid another group of oblivious shoppers. They were just as bad as the tourists.

An old man stood at the street corner. He cheerily rang the bell in his hand, which matched his red apron, and shouted various holiday greetings to passersby. She couldn't remember what charity he worked for, only that the volunteers seemed to be on every single street. They all rang their obnoxious bells with equally-annoying, cheery expressions.

"Ho! Ho! Merry Christmas! Happy Hanukkah! Happy holidays to all!"

The man thanked the people who donated their spare change. His eyes surveyed the street and landed on Marie's bundled figure.

"Happy holidays, miss! Would you care to—"

"No."

Marie tried to move past him, but he stepped in her path. Even his frown was, somehow, jolly.

"Don't you want to spread the joy of the holiday season to others who are less fortunate?"

There was no one to help me when I needed it. Countless people stepped over her when she sat, huddled in the streets. Few gave her a second look; those who did hurled insults and cursed her and made lewd comments.

"Not today."

A fake smile spread across his rosy face. "Oh, come on now. There's no need to be a Grinch and steal the holiday joy from others!"

Marie sent the man a sharp glare. She pushed his hand away from her and joined the bustling crowd. She fisted her hands inside her pockets, glowering at the ground in front of her.

A frigid wind blasted her in the face. Marie stumbled back at the force and bumped into several other people. The chill bit at her exposed skin. She blinked furiously at the tears that formed in her eyes; one clung like an icicle to her eyelashes.

Tucking her chin further into her jacket, Marie fought against the wind and trudged back to the Avengers Tower.

"Greetings, Miss Devnner," JARVIS said.

Marie collapsed against the elevator walls. She breathed heavily as the warm air invaded her frozen and restricted airways. Her fingers curled around her inhaler. Her other hand numbly unwound Pepper's wool scarf from her face.

"Are you experiencing an asthma attack? Would you like me to call Mr. Stark?"

She shook her head. "N-No. No. No, I'm-I'm fine. Thank you, JARVIS."

The elevator jolted to a stop. Marie stepped out onto the empty main floor. She could never keep track of Tony's whereabouts. There were too many places for him to escape to in the tower.