The Winter Soldier: Chapter Eleven

Tight leather straps encased her wrists and ankles. Disinfectant singed her nose. Cool metal seared her bare back. The room was cold; the hairs on her arms stood straight and her muscles quivered. But sweat coated her skin and her chest heaved and her head throbbed.

Marie's head lurched to the side and she vomited. It was the third time. Her throat burned and she couldn't catch her breath. Her chin dropped to her chest and she closed her eyes.

She was strapped to a table, angled so she could stare at a door she would never be able to open. An IV trailed from her arm to a bag of colored fluids. Marie didn't know how many times they had replaced it. She struggled to focus. Gravity pulled her down and forced the straps deeper and deeper into her skin until she could feel bruises forming.

She breathed slowly and shallowly and listened to the doctors. They flipped through papers and spoke in low tones.

"...too many fluids..."

"...another formula..."

"...Pierce wants..."

"...not feasible..."

"...make her..."

Marie's stomach churned and she vomited again. It was nothing but bile. She wretched and dry-heaved. Her body had nothing left to give. She shook uncontrollably. Sweat rolled down her body and the room tilted. Her heart thumped erratically in her chest.

Lab coats rustled and the doctors' moved quickly. The colorful bag was removed and replaced with a clear one. A hand lifted Marie's head. Light shined in her eyes. She winced and tried to pull away. A stethoscope pressed against her chest.

Loud voices sounded outside the room.

Marie drew in a ragged breath and lifted her head. Her reflection stared back at her. A two-way mirror. She bit her tongue. The acrid taste of copper flooded her mouth. She kept her eyes trained on the mirror and spat the blood onto the ground.

The door slammed open.

Alexander Pierce marched in, face red and seething. "Continue the trial."

The doctors shared a wary look. "Sir, she needs fluids, she can't take—"

"She will take whatever you give her."

"She could—She could go into shock. Her systems will... shut... down..." The doctor trailed off and shrunk back under Pierce's glare.

Marie opened her mouth, her voice breathless. "Yeah. I'm dy—I'm dying, uncle."

Pierce slapped her. Stinging pain blossomed on her cheek. She jerked to the side, panting for air. Marie couldn't stop herself. She thrived on their anger; on defying their orders. They couldn't break her. She wouldn't let them. She couldn't.

"You will do as I say."

Marie met his eyes. "Fuck. You."

Pierce stared at her for a long moment. He straightened and smoothed down his suit. He turned to the doctors and politely dismissed them from the room. He pulled the IV from her arm. She sucked in a deep breath. He calmly walked behind the table.

"There is a price to pay for disobedience."

Marie struggled in her restraints to see him. Her heart crawled up her throat. A drawer opened and closed. Her chest squeezed. Coarse fabric covered her eyes. It was pulled roughly back until it dug into her skin. She couldn't see.

She froze. Pierce's soft tread faded and she was left alone. Her breathing echoed in the room. Blood roared in her ears. Her muscles tensed and her hands fisted. She waited. And waited and waited and waited.