The Winter Soldier: Chapter Twelve

Her bleary eyes blinked open. Murky colors swirled and twisted in an every-changing pattern. One eye was swollen and blurry. Cracked lips parted and drew in a shaky, shallow breath. Her limbs were heavy and stiff. Her conscience urged her body to move; to run, to fight; to do something.

A single finger twitched in response.

Her tongue inched out to moisten her lips. She tasted the dry-blood. Everything hurt. Her body lay awkwardly crumpled on the floor; she had been beaten and assaulted and abandoned in a heap. She inhaled slowly through her nose. She had to get up; she had to get him. Bucky. He remembered. He remembered Steve.

Marie braced against the cold concrete and slowly rolled onto her stomach, freeing her left arm. Pins and needles filled her arm. She tried to push herself further up, at least onto her hands and knees, but her upper body gave out.

She crashed to the ground. A strangled moan escaped her mouth. A wave of static washed over her numb arm. It was useless.

Marie blindly reached out for something to grab onto. Her fingers brushed the mattress.

Breathing deeply, she tried to push herself up. Again and again and again and again.

Each time her body collapsed. Each time her arms gave out. Each time her muscles quivered.

A cold sweat broke out on her forehead. Her hands were clammy. A dull throb pulsed in her head, slowly growing and escalating into a cacophony until it encased her entire body. Tears dripped onto the concrete. Her fingers dug into the ground and bled, a poor attempt at finding the strength to move.

Marie stared blankly at the door of her cell. Help me. She wanted to scream. Let me out. Her mind stretched beyond her abilities. Reaching. Grasping for reprieve.

A new numbness washed over her. It was cool. Her body stilled. Her fingers relaxed. Her eyelids became heavy again. What was the point? There was nothing she could do now. The team had no idea how to find her. She had no idea how to get out. Why bother trying?

Steady footsteps marched past her cell. The sound echoed.

Darkness descended.

Marie reached out to it. The shadows coiled around her hand, caressing her like a long-lost lover, and snaked up her arm and cocooned her body. The fog of pain cleared.

The serum.

Marie forced herself up. She looked down at her translucent black, misty hands. It wore off already. She waved them through the air. She hadn't received the full dosage. She broke the syringe. They didn't know.

Questions flooded her mind. How long had she been out? Where were Steve, Nat, and Sam? Did they end Project Insight? What—

Footsteps thundered past her cell, nothing like the steady march from before. These were panicked and disordered. Something was wrong—really wrong. HYDRA was always two steps ahead and never chaotic. Their plans were derailed. Maybe it had to do with a certain Soldier remembering his childhood friend.

Marie didn't hesitate. Her shadow slid under the cell door. The corridor was empty. She darted left, following the footsteps, and snaked her away across the ceiling. Out of sight of any cameras.

Noises came from the other end of the building—in an old bank vault? Where the hell was she?

Hurried voices sounded behind her. Marie froze and curled up in the top corner of the doorway.