Wanderings: Chapter Four

Spring brought surprisingly good weather; bright blue skies and warm sunlight had people appearing in droves. A nearby park Marie and Bucky often strolled through was filled with people laying out on blankets and children playing in the grass. And, by some undetermined miracle, Bucky convinced Marie to go on a run.

"I can't," Marie panted, sweat drenching her shirt and pouring down her face. "I just—I can't any-anymore, Bucky."

For his part, Bucky did slow down (while laughing at her).

"What happened to those bold claims of "peak fitness" you were going on about?"

"Shut—Shut up."

Marie was in the worst shape she had ever been in. Her pace was sluggish, her arms floppy and struggling to maintain proper form. Gravity seemed to pull harder on her, her feet weighed down by lead and scuffing the pavement with each step. She could hardly keep her eyes open, between the perpetual exhaustion and steady stream of sweat.

A familiar tightness wound around her lungs. Marie fought to inhale deeply and air wheezed out of her. She stumbled off the path and nearly collapsed into a crouch. Marie's legs shook beneath her, throwing off her sense of balance. She bowed her head and screwed her eyes shut, head spinning.

"Marie? Do you need your inhaler?" Bucky crouched next to her, carefully placing his hand on her shoulder. Her muscles quivered and her body was soaked with sweat. He grimaced and shook his head. He had pushed her too hard, too insistent and too teasing. They shouldn't have exposed themselves like this; they should've spent the day inside.

Marie wavered, tipping backwards on her heels. Bucky guided her back and tilted her head up. Her eyes squinted at him and she tried to muster a grin.

"I think—I think I'm done for-for today."

Bucky glanced nervously around them, letting his hair fall into his face and cover it. A few passing strangers eyed them—only Marie, really—but continued without fuss. Any lingering looks were too many for him.

"Come on, we should get out of here. Can you stand?"

Marie laid back onto the grass and stared at the sky. "I need a minute. You might have to-to—have to carry me."

"No." That would definitely attract attention.

"Then wait." Marie rolled her head to the side, patting the ground next to her. "Sit down. Relax. All this-this tension can't be good for your—for your heart."

Begrudgingly, Bucky sat next to her and pulled his knees to his chest. His eyes scanned the park and analyzed each person walking by or lounging on blankets. The warmth of the sun gradually eased the tension in his shoulders. His gaze returned to Marie, whose skin was still too flushed.

"You should drink."

"Th-That would mean sitting up," Marie complained, forcing her eyes opened. Her tongue was heavy in her mouth. She briefly played with the idea that she had been drugged, that's how tired she was.

Bucky shook the water bottle in her face. "Drink or die."

Marie lazily swatted at him before grasping his metal shoulder and using it to haul herself up. Fuzzy, colorful dots swarmed her vision like static on a television. She grumbled and blindly grabbed the water bottle. She took several swigs, her head resting on Bucky's shoulder.

"I might be a little out of—out of shape."

"You think?" He laughed. "I can't believe you made it this far."

"Me either."

A breeze blew over the park, pushing Bucky's hair back from his face. He ducked his head, shoulders rising with tension. Marie pulled away and eyed him. They rarely left the apartment outside of necessary trips to the market and the store; Bucky only agreed to go out for non-essential trips when it was dusk or later. She didn't fault his paranoia, the sight of security cameras always made her jittery, but she was getting cabin fever in the apartment.