The Winter Soldier: Chapter One

Steve sat on his couch, head bent over his sketchbook. A pencil scratched gently against the paper as he reimagined the coffeeshop. His tongue poked out of his mouth, his head tilting to the side to study the image. Several hard knocks broke his concentration. Frowning, Steve tucked the pencil behind his ear as he walked to the door.

He swung it open. A pizza delivery person—a kid, really—stood there, loudly smacking their gum. A green baseball cap was pulled low over their head, covering most of their face. Steve couldn't tell if they were a man or a woman; everyone seemed to have long hair these days.

"Can I help you?" Steve asked. The kid held up the pizza box, popping a bubble with their gum.

"Johnny's Pizza. One large cheese 'n pepperoni for Apartment 26," they drawled, their voice monotone. The kid popped their gum again. Steve's eyebrow twitched.

"I'm sorry," Steve scratched the back of his neck and glanced down the hall, "you must have the wrong address. I didn't order any pizza."

The kid sighed and held the receipt to his face. "Look, man. It says Apartment 26. This is the only 26 around here."

Steve shook his head. "Sorry, I've already eaten and—"

"Just take the pizza!" The kid shouted in exasperation. They shoved the box into Steve's chest, forcing him to take a step back. "This is my last delivery—for the love of God, just take it!"

Steve frowned, gently pushing the box away from him. "Why don't you take the pizza home?"

The kid groaned. "You're making this so complicated, dude. Take. The damn. Pizza."

"Sorry, sir—erm, ma'am? Goodnight." Steve closed the door.

At least, he tried to. The kid wedged their foot between the door and its frame. Steve's frustration rose as he turned to look at the kid. Only, they weren't there anymore.

The pizza box sat abandoned in the hallway. There was no sign of the delivery kid.

Steve slammed the door shut and spun around. The lights were out. His eyes scanned over the darkened furniture. The apartment was quiet. He took several steps towards the kitchen, his muscles tight and fists clenched.

"Boo."

Steve's fist flew. It hit air and his momentum sent him stumbling forward.

Laughter echoed behind him.

He turned, crouched into a fighting position. "Who are you?"

"Really Steve?" The voice spoke, clicking its tongue. "The pizza delivery routine? It's textbook."

Steve frowned at the taunt. These were mind games; little teases and whispers. This person could see him, and he had no idea who they were. They were lording their power over him. All he could do was stand and wait like the perfect prey.

A shadow moved out of the corner of his eye. He twisted to the left.

The lamp beside him clicked on.

He leapt away from it. His heart pounded in his chest.

Steve's eyes darted around the room. He evened his breathing and slowly backed towards the kitchen. His shield was propped up against the wall outside of it.

"What's the matter? You've gone quiet," he jeered. The voice didn't answer. His ears picked up on shuffling in the living room. What were they looking for? He silently crept down the hall, reaching blindly for his shield.

His hand swiped at air.

Steve glanced down. His shield was gone.

His sweaty palms clenched into fists. He inched towards the living room. He took several deep breaths, preparing himself for a fight, and peeked around the corner.