The Winter Soldier: Chapter Ten

She was drowning.

Marie gasped and sputtered. Water poured down her face and gurgled in her mouth. She heaved and spat it out. Her heart hammered in her chest. She blinked the water out of her eyes and wiped her wet hair from her face.

"Rise and shine."

A metal bucket hit the wall next to her head. Marie flinched. The water was ice cold. Her skin prickled. Her clothes clung to her body. She scrambled for coherent thoughts. She couldn't remember—

Rough hands yanked her up and shoved her forward.

"Walk."

Marie stumbled and fell to her knees. They scraped against the dark concrete floor. She winced and looked up. Four cement walls. Concrete ceiling. One metal door (open). Two armed guards. One more (behind).

She was in a cell. She was in HYDRA.

A boot kicked her ankle. "Get up. Now."

Marie pulled herself up. She shivered as the cool air hit her. She blindly followed the two guards. Another one joined the rear. That made four armed guards.

Shit. She was in HYDRA. Why? Were the others with her? Marie frowned, shaking her head. No. The Winter Soldier grabbed her. She reached up and touched her neck. Another bump. They injected her again. She was powerless. Useless.

Marie clenched her fists. No. Natasha Romanoff and Clint Barton trained her. They talked about this. What to do if she was ever taken hostage—at the time, she found it an ironic lesson. Sit and listen. Let them give you information. Don't do anything stupid. They'll hurt you for information. They'll play mind games. Let them. We'll find you.

Her heart panged. There was no way they were going to find her. They had no idea where she would be; they only just learned that HYDRA existed. She was on her own.

They stopped at a door. A guard swiped their key card to open it. The two in front of her split, standing on either side as Marie walked in. An interrogation room. Not an unfamiliar sight.

"Marie."

The sight of Brock Rumlow made her blood boil. She tightened her jaw and glared at him.

"Don't look so upset, we brought you here to help you."

"Help" my ass. Marie side-eyed the guards next to her. They were fully armed, knives and guns included. She took a deep breath. Don't do anything stupid. She chanted this in her mind and obligingly walked into the center of the room. Like hell was she sitting in a chair.

They stood in silence. Marie crossed her arms and cracked her neck. She sighed.

"Well? Are we-Are we just going to-to-to stand here?"

The door opened, and a parade flooded in. At the front was Alexander Pierce. Then six guards. And the Winter Soldier. Marie raised an eyebrow. The intimidation factor was high. Eight guards, plus a human machine, for her? Impossible. She couldn't do anything.

"Marie, so nice to see you again," Alexander Pierce smiled.

She brushed her wet, stringy hair out of her face. "Is it? Because—"

"What's that?" Rumlow frowned and stepped forward.

Marie looked at herself. "What is-What is what? This is a-a-a tank top."

Two men shoved her against the wall. Her arms were outstretched, and her ankles hooked until she was eagle-spread. Marie winced and groaned.

Rumlow stepped in front of her. "Are you armed, Marie?"