Prologue

Deep in the Scottish Highlands, lay a Castle the grounds flowing with magic, surprisingly going unnoticed by the boy sitting on the roof of the highest tower.

The boy, in a Blue Sweater and brown to tan pants, both decorated with frost, sat deep in thought.

He layed back on the roof and let out a loud breath. He knew no one would hear it. Even if they did and happened to check even where he was laying, they wouldn't see anything. That's how it's been for the past 290 years he's been alive. No one heard him. No one saw him. Only animals were able to do so much as spare a glance.

He put a hand over his stomach, hoping the weight would distract him from the gnawing hunger. He was only able to steal to eat, but never did it unless he feared losing control.

Jack closed his eyes, not having the willingness to keep them open. He was lonely, touch starved, even isolated. Only aspects of his personality kept him company.

Opening his eyes, he saw the Waxing Gibbous moon shining above him. At that moment, he did what no one would expect him to do. He cried. Tears trickled down his face like frost.

"Why Manny?" He choked out. "Why did you put me here? Winter comes and goes, yet I remain isolated from humanity. Why am I here?" As per normal, no response was given to Jacks plea.

The silver haired winter spirit looked down at his staff. Straight, with a G shaped curl at the end. Frost decorated the wood whenever he touched it.

He gazed at the wood before standing. He put his hand with the staff over the edge of the roof, and dropped it. Jack could no longer fly with his power source not in his hand.

He walked to the edge of the roof and took one last look at the Moon that gave him life, only to abandon him after telling him nothing but his name.

"Find someone else," he said before tipping off the edge of the roof.

After falling a few stories, he was greeted with darkness.

"Hush, Poppy. He needs not be disturbed till awoken."

Voices. So he wasn't able to fulfill even that one wish.

He groaned as he sat himself up before opening his eyes. He looked around and found himself in a large room, each long wall lined with beds in white sheets. Some kind of hospital area.

"Ah. It seems I spoke to soon."

Jack turned to the voice to see a kind looking old man with a long white beard smiling at him. Behind he saw an uptight woman who seemed kind, but strict.

The older man turned to the woman, "If we may, I wish to talk to the boy alone." The woman obediently left through a small door.

Jack looked at the man shocked stiff, "You can see me?"

He nodded, "Oh yes. I, as well as the many students who walk these halls are magical, each in their own way. One benefit is the ability to see magic invisible to most human eyes."

Happiness welled up inside Jack, tears almost spilling. "I'm seen. Where have you all been all my life?" The words seemed to remind Jack of what happened before waking up. "How am I here?"

"I can not answer that. You brought yourself here, did you not? And the process of creating a magical spirit is not known among Witch and Wizard kind." He looked Jack in the eye. "What I do know, is that you fell off our tower roof. You're lucky I knew the proper charm, or you may have been permanently damaged in a way."

Jack's face fell as he sank back to rest his back against the headboard. "Why did you? Couldn't you see I wanted to die?"

The man nodded, "Oh yes, but you don't seem to know that spirit's, such as yourself as an elemental, can't die. Why you would want to, I will not ask unless you wish to share."

A doomed feeling crept onto Jack. There was no escape. No way to leave this place. Jack looked down, "I was done. Done being invisible and isolated, even by my own kind. Someone else can become the Spirit of Winter, nothing would change!"

The man shook his head. "No. As I recalled on the roof, you said you've been around for 290 years?" Jack nodded. "As records state, before then, winter was a yearly curse only something that caused crops to need to be torn down and frostbite." Jack looked away, knowing very well what some people thought of winter. "However, since you've come, the snow fell more slowly. This new found beauty caused children to wish to play in it."

A twinkle was in the man's eye. "You turned a thing of fear, into a thing of fun. Only something you could do."

Jack's eyes widened at the words. Only something he could do?

The man bent down slightly and picked something up off the floor, holding it for Jack to see. "My staff!" He exclaimed, snatching it away from him.

The man chuckled, "I had a feeling it was yours. It flew after you when we brought you to the Hospital Wing. I also," he turned the staff and pointed to some Japanese lettering. "Noticed this. Do you know what it reads?"

Jack nodded, "Fuyu no seishin. Winter Spirit."

"Are you fluent?"

He nodded, "Watashi wa jibun jishin o. It was where I was put after I was created."

(I don't actually speak it in any way. If someone who speaks Japanese can make corrections, I'd like that.)

The old man smiled with a twinkle in his eye. "As it happens, I have been trying to find a forin teacher for quite some time now. How would you like to show these students what you're capable of and magic found on the other coast?"

Jack was speechless. "I'll be surrounded by people who can see me every day?" He asked, ecstatic. He nodded, "When do I start?"

The man chuckled, "Well, it is only halfway through the first semester and you would need time to learn what you're teaching, but I can say that it's safe for you to be ready by the beginning of the school year."

"I'll do all I can."

The man smiled and came closer to Jack extending his hand, "My name is Albus Dumbledore. Headmaster of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. I look forward to working with you."

Jack smiled and took his hand. The real, kind physical touch was all he needed to have his mind made up completely.

"My name's Jack Frost. I know that, because the moon told me so. It's all he ever told me."