31 - Come Back To Me

Start from the beginning

A few of the nurses recognise her, taking her to a private room. Carlisle treats her, with permission from the hospital, as Jasper stand close by. "You really didn't remember anything?" Carlisle asks, glancing over St him.

Jasper shakes his head. "Nothing. I felt like I knew Nala, but I didn't know where. Kehlani... She told me I'd had some accident and that was all. The rest she kept from me, saying she didn't want to traumatise me."

Nala looks down sadly. "Maybe if I'd tried harder you'd have come back sooner..."

"Or she'd have killed you." Jasper says, mere moments after Carlisle says the same thing.

Nala smiles small. "I guess."

"Knock knock." Esme says, coming in. She instantly hugs Jasper as Aro follows. "I missed you."

Aro looks st Carlisle. "Everything's fine here?" He nods. "Good... Seth is bringing the girls."

"No, not here." Nala shakes her head. "I don't want to do this here."

"Okay okay." Aro nods as Jasper watches a bit confused - since when were they friends with the enemy? "The park - they like it there at night."

"Only coz you fit in." Nala laughs small. "The park is perfect."

He nods and he leaves with Esme, Carlisle finishing up. He gives the keys to his car to Jasper and leaves too, letting him and Nala walk alone. "So... What did I miss between you and Aro? I don't have competition do I?"

"Not at all." She laughs small. "He's become a sort of... Acquaintance? Maybe even a friend." She shrugs. She kisses his cheek as he opens the car door for her.

He goes to the drivers seat and takes a moment to get used to the car, something he wouldn't have when he was a vampire. "And from the sounds of it, our girls like him?"

Nala smiles. "Gosh, Effie is obsessed. She loves learning just as much as Lilo does, though Lilo likes to hide her brains because it isn't 'cool'."

Jasper chuckles. "Well, that sounds about right for a teenager."

She smiles and watches him. "How weird is all of this..?"

"So weird. I don't wanna go above 70, I don't know if I can drive as well as I used to. I dont like how my heart reacts to things, now I remember how things used to be. Its a lot, my senses were everything. I suppose the one thing I haven't entirely lost is my gift, but even that's nothing like it used to be."

Nala rubs his leg gently. "I'll help as much as I can... That's if you still want to-to be with me."

Jasper scowls. "Did you lose your brain or something? Of course I want to be with you, I was made for you and you me."

"Cringe." She laughs gently and he smiles, nodding. He follows her directions and they both climb out. "Go sit on the swings, I need to tell them delicately."

He nods and takes a deep breath. He kisses her and walks of slowly, his nerves growing. Nala looks up as Seth parks up, the girls getting out.

Nala smiles. "Hey kiddos."

"What's going on?" Lilo asks, hugging her jacket more.

"I need to tell you something." Nala says as she goes over to them, leaning on the hood of seths car. She wraps an arm around both of them. "So... Remember how I said daddy was gone? He was... He was taken from us and he couldn't come back?"

Lilo nods small. "Yeah... The bad person..."

Nala nods. "Yeah... Well, some stuff happened and... And he's back. He wants to see you."

Lilo tears. "You said he wouldn't be bsck, ever. You said.."

"I know I did, I know. You don't have to, Seth can take you home if you want." She says gently. She's so glad Jasper can't hear them like he used to be able to, he'd be broken at that thought.

Nala looks at Effie as she looks at her shoes. "I... I don't know him, ma. I just know the man from the photos, and the videos and the stories."

"I know but he is no different to those." She assures.

Both girls are quiet. "I'm gonna go to him. Take a moment, and if you really don't want to then it's okay. You are old enough to make that decision." She kisses both their heads and smiles small, slowly walking off.

Jasper looks up from the swing he's sat on, his eyes showing his heartbreak at no sign of the girls. Nala shakes her head. "Don't jump to conclusions, give them a moment. I know my girls."

He sighs and Nala sits on the swing beside him holding his hand. They sit in silence, just swinging slowly in the dim lit park. It's got to be 3 maybe 4 am by now.

The squeak of the gate makes Jasper instantly look up and he stands swiftly. He tears. "Look at you both." He whispers.

Lilo looks at him, freezing a few feet away. His hairs darker, he's got facial hair and he's aged. He looks so different... But he's her dad. Her daddy came home. She bursts into tears and runs to him, Jasper catching her in a tight hug as he holds her.

Nala smiles encouragingly at Effie as she hesitates, running at him too. Jasper catches her as he did Lilo, holding his girls close. He's home.

-

"No, dad NO!" Lilo shrieks as he turns the hose on her instead of the car.

"What? I didn't do anything." He says.

She glares and runs at him, grabbing the hose and fighting him for it. "I wanted to wear this later!" she sulks as Jasper laughs.

Nala smiles from the kitchen window as she watches. "I bet you can't wait to get out there too, buddy." She whispers to her tummy.

Things are perfect, better than ever. She knows it's been hard for Jasper to adjust, but things feel right. When it came to going back to normal, nothing was easier. They see the rest of the family but a human life is what they all need. Knowing they'll die together, they'll die close together hopefully, is the most comforting thought to Nala. They'll grow old and their children will grow old and so on. No pressure to change.

She got her major back, and she'll never let him go again.

Fin❀❀