T W E N T Y - O N E

"Arya? Hey, wake up."

I blink my eyes open to the sound of Everett's voice, low and husky with sleep, coming from somewhere very close. It takes another second to register the infuriating beep that has now become so hauntingly familiar. 

Slowly sliding into wakefulness, I realize that somewhere along last night, Everett and I had unconsciously arranged ourselves into a tight embrace. Suddenly flustered, I lift my head off his chest and he pulls his arms away from my waist.

"Ugh, this stupid noise," I groan, squinting against the yellowish lights as we climb out of bed. Everett winces in agreement before tipping his head towards the glass cubicle that is smoothly unfolding from the wall behind me.

"I should go," he says, raising his voice to be heard over the high-pitched beep.

Leading Everett towards the door — still wedged open with my bracelet — I watch as he crosses the hallway, his dark hair in wild disarray under the harsh white ceiling lights.

"See you soon," I call as he throws a smile over his shoulder before receding into his room. I slip my bracelet back onto my wrist, letting my door lock shut.

A few minutes later, I step out into the corridor — freshly scrubbed, dressed in a new suit, feeling full and vitalized from the mysterious pills. Just then, Everett emerges from his room, and together, we head towards the garden for another long day of work.

After what feels like an eternity of trimming perfect leaves and branches, I drop my shears to the grassy floor, relishing the instant relief coursing down my tired arms.

The breeze blowing across the silent garden suddenly turns a little colder. I tilt my head towards it gratefully, but when a drop of water lands on my cheek, my spine stiffens in shock. I'm paralyzed by the sudden, distant memory of hiding indoors from a pungent, acidic downpour, my mother's hand wrapped around mine in a vice-like grip as she warned me of the horrors of the burning rain.

"Everett!" I hurry to his side, my words tumbling over one another. "It's . . . the rain . . . we—"

Understanding quickly dawns on him. "We have to get out of here," he agrees, grabbing my hand just as the shower begins.

A scream builds in my throat as we race towards the only place of cover in the vast, open botanical garden: the archway of white flowers at the entrance. When we reach the arch, I finally have the chance to catch my breath. As my pulse gradually normalizes, I notice that the drops of water are just rolling off my suit. And much to my shock, my damp hair and face aren't burning.

"W-wait, why aren't the others running?" Everett exhales deeply, inspecting his hands in confusion before looking out towards the citizens. Unlike us, they continue to work on the shrubs, completely unfazed.

"I think . . . the rain might be safe here," I say slowly, my tone colored with incredulity. "Look."

Carefully, I inch my way towards the open area, sticking my hand towards the gentle rainfall. Feeling nothing but the wetness of clean water gliding across my skin, I wrap my other hand around Everett's and lead him out of the archway's cover.

"Whoa," he grins, throwing his head back to catch some water in his mouth. Beaming, I do the same before linking my fingers through his and spinning in a slow circle.

I'm staring up at the perfect, fluffy clouds when suddenly, Everett steps closer. His deep blue irises disappear behind his eyelids when he blinks the raindrops out of his lashes.

Silence falls over us like a veil, thick and loaded with something unspoken. Everett traces the path of a raindrop down the side of my face with his fingertips, his hand stopping to cup my cheek. Immediately, I find myself stretching on the tips of toes, my hands linking behind his neck, my heart thudding with anticipation.

I remember sharing so many kisses with Everett from our time before the Imperium that I intuitively know the feeling of his lips against mine. And yet, when I claim the first taste of sweet raindrops on his lips, I'm completely thrown by the shocking, delightful newness of it. A small gasp escapes my mouth and I feel Everett smiling in response. His palms are warm and reassuring on my neck as he plants small kisses along the edge of my mouth and jaw.

The rain continues to run down our faces in rivulets, and I shut my eyes tighter, silently sending a desperate wish into the clouded sky: Everett and I should never, ever allow ourselves to lose this moment.