25- just another day

Start from the beginning

"No work today?" He scrapes desperately for conversation.

"Nope. You?"

"No."

More silence.

The lady on the screen drops her entire pan of cupcakes, looking upset and frustrated. I feel that.

"Is everything ok?" He asks, quietly.

I bite down on my lip and stare at the screen again. However, he turns the TV off. I stand up off the couch and start to leave until he grabs my wrist gently.

"Wait. I'm sorry. Please stay," He squeezes softly.

I inhale and turn around to face him, "Why?"

His gaze turns confused and questioning, "What do you mean?"

"Why are you still trying?" I huff out.

His gaze softens into sadness. His neutral expression tips down into a frown. I almost expect him to cry.

He swallows, "Because I have to. If I don't I will hate myself for it."

I shake my head, "I'm sorry but we can't do this. Can't you see? Everything is going so well?"

"We can just... please-"

"It's over, Hunter."

He holds onto me still and doesn't look away. Finally, he lets me go and drops his hand down to his side. The doughnut in his other hand no longer very appetizing for either of us. I turn and run upstairs.

Take the hint, you stupid beautiful boy.

• • •

The longer that time goes on, the more the aching pain fades. My birthday creeps up faster than I thought. It is a week away and I am laying in Andréa's bed. He is fucking around on his PlayStation.

"How is your Uncle?" I ask out of the blue.

Ever since Andréa and I have become friends, I have noticed something is wrong. His Uncle is never home and when he is I am not allowed over. I have no reason to get in Andréa's
business, but it is hard not to. His fridge is filled with nothing but alcohol and the trailer is always empty.

"He is fine. Same old shit as usual. He drinks, yells, then goes back to bed, why?" He glances at me worriedly.

"I don't know."

"Everything is fine. How is life at home?" He dies and sets his controller down.

"Great. Jessie is still painting the living room and Luke is still begging for a dog," I stare up at the ceiling, the smell of weed wafting up around me.

"Is something bothering you?" He asks suddenly.

"No."

Yes.

"Well MJ has been blowing up the group chat trying to get us all to hangout before your birthday. I think it would be fun. Besides, hanging out with me all the time is not doing wonders."

I frown and throw a pillow at him, "I happen to like hanging out with you."

"You know what I mean," He laughs, "We are worried about you. All of us. Naomi even messaged me on Instagram, asking if you are in working order."