The Awkward Encounters Keep On Coming!!!

“Appropriate that you called a dog Jon. He always looks a bit woof.” He laughed at his own joke but I just stared at him until he quietened down and began looking slightly uncomfortable. “Soooo... Liv said you seemed upset and didn’t want to talk to her earlier and she was worried about you.” That was like a kick to the teeth and I stood up and moved away from him, instantly remembering why I was up here in the first place.

“Well you and Liv can go and have plenty of fun by yourselves without having to phone me in the middle of it can’t you?” I moved towards the door and heard Jon growling behind me right before I felt a wrist grasping my arm and swinging me around to meet a penetrating gaze. “What?” I yanked my wrist from his grip and took another step towards the door fully aware that I didn’t know this boy and I was alone in a secluded wood with only an unpredictable wolf that I also didn’t know as my protection, not the best situation I’ve ever been in to say the least.

“Why does it bother you so much that I’m friends with Liv?” His gaze searched mine so I steeled it so that he couldn’t see any emotion in my eyes whatsoever. 

“It looks a lot more than friendship and that is great that Liv’s happy but don’t you dare break her heart because she already likes you more than most guys she’s met. You should also stay away from me because I don’t like you or trust you. There’s something you’re keeping from me and I don’t like it, so other than when you’re with Liv, where I’ll be civil to you for her sake, you don’t talk to me, come near me, think of me or even look at me. Are we clear?” I turned and walked out of the door with my wolf following behind me like he had been trained since birth to do so. Maybe he was someone’s pet? Should I be putting up fliers? I looked back to the beautiful wolf and thought nah I think I’ll keep him for company.

I ran quickly home and let Jon in behind me who didn’t growl or whine or anything which was surprising. “Would you like some food?” His tongue stuck out as he began panting so I took that as a yes and also poured some water into a bowl for him, isn’t that what you’re meant to do for dogs or is it different for wolves? I opened my fridge and noticed how truly sparse it had got meaning a trip to the shops was needed. I sighed and wished I could call Jon to go with me but we were no longer speaking, so that meant a trip to the supermarket near the shore by myself. I placed a half-eaten sandwich that I’d left from before I left on a plate and placed it on the ground, hoping the wolf wasn’t picky. It was a ham sandwich so it was meat! 

I watched the wolf come over, have a drink and inspect the food carefully, having a good sniff before finally giving in and wolfing - pun intended - the whole thing down. “Who’s a good boy?!” I cooed and started walking up to my bedroom suddenly feeling extremely tired which was explained when I glanced at the clock and saw that it was 2:30 in the morning and I had to be up for school in five hours! I slowly climbed the stairs, my feet getting heavier every step I took so that by the time I made it to the top step it felt like I was dragging lead stones around with me.

My room door was open and I hobbled over to my bed and just collapsed onto it, not bothering to remove my clothes because they would have to go in the wash in a few hours anyway, so what was the point? I slight clicking on my laminate floor drew my attention to the door and the lone wolf looking slightly awkward in the doorway, as if he wasn’t sure how to proceed. I tapped my bed next to me and urged, “come on boy, up you get,” not knowing what diseases it carried and not particularly caring at the minute. That was all the urging it needed before it bounded over and up onto my bed before making itself comfortable in a ball at even height with my head.

He shut his eyes and I followed suit, falling asleep to the even breathing of my new pet wolf. I wonder if my father would mind? Was my last thought before darkness swept over me.