Heightened Emotions... So Why Am I Alone With You??

(CASSIE’S POV)

The more I watched him the more he reminded me of the Andrew that I fell in love with and the Andrew who eventually broke my heart into tiny pieces when I was just twelve and my whole world revolved around him. I, like Simon, had tried to carry on for a bit but eventually gave up and confronted Andrew right before I left for here.

Every lunch time I was in I would eat with Liv who fetched Simon along and every lunch time she would shoot me worried glances but I would just smile and she would nod in acceptance before turning back round to coo over Simon. Simon never looked convinced and reminded me every time he found me alone or anytime we were working together on our English- and recently History- project together.

My stress about everything was mounting up and I didn’t have my one source of calm to vent to except for his wolf counterpart who visited me every night at my house at six o’clock on the hour. I noticed Jon looking always tired lately and frustrated about something but it was no longer my place to ask, so I left it and got on with my life. Although the same applied to Simon, after asking Liv out officially about a week after our argument, so three weeks ago, he always looked troubled about something and a part of me always wanted to find out what it was, but the rational side of me told me it was none of my business because he was Liv’s boyfriend and not mine. If he needed someone to talk to then it should be her, not me.

Today’a lunchtime however was my last day of remaining calm about it so I needed to leave. Quickly. I turned to Liv and butted in her conversation, “Liv I’m not feeling well so I’m going to head home. Will you let my teachers know for me?” She nodded and looked concerned but didn’t question me like she used to do whenever she was worried for me. Jon was staring at me and so was Simon but when I just walked out instead of having to explain myself to either of them, their looks changed to shooting daggers at me which is just what I needed to feel calm right now.

I made it outside and took off it a straight sprint through the car park and up my mountain, not stopping until I reached my house and I was almost throwing up through a lack of oxygen. When I reached my front door though I didn’t feel like being confined to my house so I made a beeline for my garage and threw my backpack in there while hopping on my quad bike. I didn’t want to run up to my special hiding place and this was the only mode of transportation that would even get me remotely close to it with all the trees and shifting mud on the path there. I donned on a helmet and was back out of the garage in seconds, barely hearing the sound of the garage door closing behind me.

I needed the freedom so I cranked up the accelerator and took a short cut up the mountainside where the path was more dangerous but the adrenaline more than compensated for it. 

The speed and wind in my hair made me feel so alive and only made me want to go quicker and quicker, much quicker than the quad bike could carry me. I hit the gas harder so that the quad bike was giving as much as it could, making me reach the end of the path quicker than I thought I could but from here I needed to walk the rest of the way, meaning that I had to leave the quad here although it was perfectly safe because no one else knew the way. I climbed off and put my helmet in the seat compartment before setting off at a brisk pace so that I made it to the cabin in half the time it usual takes me and just the sight of it made me calmer than I thought I could be because here it was just me, the cabin and the space I needed to calm down to get my thoughts in order.

I walked up to the door, swung it open and screamed the loudest that I could before stumbling backwards only to trip over my own feet and fall flat on my back. I tried to scramble up and away from the person who was sat on my bed in the cabin but didn’t get far when they walked out to reveal it was Simon, who seemed to barely be containing his laughter.