Trying To Be Friends Has Never Been So Difficult!

The alarm blared beside my head as I blearily searched for the snooze button. Why did I set it so early? Oh yeah, school. I needed to get up, get dressed and get going but as I stood up my eyes roved over my crumpled covers and all I wanted to do was crawl back under them and take a ‘me’ day. I really wanted a me day after yesterday but if I didn’t turn in the Simon would think it was because of him- it was, but he didn’t need to know that- and I didn’t want him thinking that.

Why was I nervous about how he was going to react to seeing me today? There have been numerous jocks that i’ve found cute but I never worried about what they thought about me, in fact the last time I cared about what someone thought about me- apart from Jon- was Andrew when I was popular. Why was I thinking about him so much lately? He was a few thousands miles away from me and even from that distance he still manages to haunt me.

Throwing on what clothes I grabbed first, which ended up being baggy jeans and a loose long sleeved top, I headed off to school but decided to start jogging which morphed into a fast pace run. I reached the school quicker than usual without even being slightly out of breath and I stopped short when I walked into homeroom to see Liv, who wasn’t even in my homeroom, draped all over Simon on my seat.

Jon watched as I walked into the room and I could feel his gaze on me as I walked over to my seat. Liv started laughing as I neared the seat and Simon looked up from around her and spotted me. I couldn’t be angry with Liv about this because it wasn’t her fault if he was still her boyfriend, if anything it was my fault which made me angry and hurt like hell that I was almost the ‘other woman’ in this scenario. I carried on past my old seat and sat in the back corner like I did when Simon first turned up, which was unfortunately straight behind my old seat but I was planning on ignoring Simon nevertheless.

“Ladies and gentlemen of the class, anyone who doesn’t belong in the class can you please leave?” The teacher announced on entrance and went to sit down in the seat at the front, facing the rest of the class, gaze landing on Liv all over Simon.” Liv took the hint and left the room with a wink to Simon, hips swaying enough to almost hit someone in the face as she walked past which drew all the boys eyes to her ass-ets.

I didn’t even bother looking to see if Simon was looking at her because I knew the answer to that particular question, the truth was also certain to hurt me more than I wanted to know why. Out of curiosity I turned to look at Jon to see him scowling at her departing back- not backside- and that response made me smile, even if we were no longer speaking. “Is you smiling at Jon like that meant to make me feel better about how what you have with me is different to what you have with him?” The bitter tone startled me to face forward where Simon had turned around in his chair to stair at me looking at Jon.

“You have a girlfriend you know and I’m single so your problem with me at the minute is..?” I waited for him to speak but he didn’t, just carried on staring at me so I sighed and chose to be the bigger person. Besides, what did I really have to be mad at him for when his only crime was to choose someone else over me? “Listen Simon, there’s no point in fighting so we might as well be friends because, even if you don’t feel it now, I had a really good time talking to you last night. I have a feeling that I would have enjoyed talking to you last night even if I was still friends with Jon and I don’t want to throw that away because you chose another girl. I’m not the type of girl to do that.”

“Cassie-”

“Simon.” I joked because he seemed about to impart some deep sentiment and I couldn’t deal with that without crumbling either in joy or devastation.

“Okay, I’ll do the friendship thing if you want to give that a go.”

“Don’t look so devastated! I’m not that bad a friend.” I winked and he gave me a smile that melted my heart while making it pump double time. This friendship wasn’t going to be an easy one, that’s for sure but I smiled at him anyway to mask my traitorous heart.