Chapter 29 continued...

Continued...

I shook my head and turned my attention to the small window, where I blocked out everything in the small space and let my mind drift with the clouds below. They always looked different up here….not as fluffy and full, instead they were thin, less perfect and the shapes they held weren’t as noticeable as they were on the ground.

I continued to watch them though. They’d always been a constant in my life, always there with me, reminding me of the possibilities that lay in wait. Reminding me that if I searched hard enough, if I tried hard enough, I could always make something out of what seemed like nothing. I could transform my life—my dreams, into whatever I imagined. The clouds gave me hope.

I glanced back at Christophe with furrowed brows and he watched me with narrowed eyes— eyes that were tinged with fear.

“Look out this window and tell me what you see.” I said to him, and after a moment, when the curiosity got to him, he did as I asked; hands still holding the chair in a punishing grip as he leaned forward slightly to take in the view.

“I see nothing but sky and clouds…what am I to look for?”

I grinned. “The clouds…tell me what you see when you look at them.”

His brows furrowed, but he did as I asked anyway and when he saw nothing, as I expected, he glanced back at me with a frown. “The same thing I always see… They are white in shade, they look soft and when I look hard enough I see strange shapes. Why? What am I to see?”

I looked at him in surprise. “You see the shapes?”

He glanced out the window again, then back at me. “Of course, ever since I was a tyke. Do you not see them?”

“Yeah I just…I do. I’m just surprised, I thought vamps couldn’t see them.”

He pulled away and settled once more into his seat with a scoff. “Of course I see them. We have eyes and an imagination just as the humans do.” He said, clearly taking offence and I nodded slowly.

“How long has it been since the chauffer told us we were expected to meet once more with the earth?”

“The pilot,” I corrected, “said we’d be there within the hour…it’s only been five minutes ...relax.”

 A moment or two passed before he took a deep breath and bent his head, allowing the short, silky strands of his white hair to cover his face. “I would like to request that we take a car on our return to the coven…please...I do not believe I am…equipped for air transport.” He said. His voice sounding weak and strained. That alone alerted me to just how much this was affecting him.

I pulled down the window shade, then snapped my finger, much like he had done before and a drudge came running to my aid.

“May I offer my assistance master Tony?”  He asked, eyes not quite meeting my own.

“Close all the shades and go warm this up.” I ordered, shoving bloody thermos into his hands.

When he left quickly to do my bidding, I turned back to Christophe. I couldn’t see his face, but I could imagine his expression.

“You know…I had a friend once who was terrified of flying.” I began.

“As he should be…humans are not meant for the air…no one is.”

I shrugged even though he couldn’t see me.

“Maybe…but to actually be able to see the world like this…it’s something men in the past could only dream about…we’re lucky to get this chance.”