Chapter 38: Schemes and Plans

Chapter 38

I lost track of time as I sat there drowning pitifully in my sorrows. My ridiculous sobbing had long ago ceased and now only the residue of my tears still clung to my lashes and the dried tracks staining my face were the only real evidence of my momentary loss of control.

 As I sat there, my feet stretched out before me, and my hands lying motionless in my lap, I felt the presence of three blood drinkers I would have preferred not to lay eyes on until I had managed to compose myself. It was unfortunate that luck did not seem to be on my side as of late.

I watched as they approached, at a sedate, almost casual pace, and when I looked into their faces for once I could not read their expressions. Tonight was the night of firsts it seemed.

“Mock me if you must.” I offered quietly. “It seems that for once I have given you the perfect opportunity.”

They came to a stop before me and I tore my gaze away from their faces, instead, content to simply watch their shoes, which were as clean and shining as though they had been purchased only a moment before.

I did not think I would ever see you in such a state brother.” Peitre was the first to speak.

“Yes well, I suppose anything is possible.”

“So it would seem.” He continued. I closed my eyes and leaned back to rest my head against the wall.

“It is not like you to simply give up all hope. Where is your spirit? Where is the fight?”

“Sometimes one grows tired of fighting Peitre.”

“Yes, but not you…never you.”

“My mate—”

“—Still has every chance of making a full recovery.” Marcan interrupted and I felt a strange urge to shrug…much like my Tony tended to do.

The very thought of him sent a stinging pain through my chest and I winced.

“I cannot bear to see him like that any longer. I cannot stand to hear his cries of pain or watch his unconscious face as he suffers. It is maddening. It is…” I trailed off. Explaining what I felt to my heartless brothers was as pointless as the tears I had shed only minutes before.

I reopened my eyes when Jorlon moved to sit by my side on the hard concrete floor and a moment later Peitre had also moved so that he could occupy a place on my right.

“Is there a reason you’ve both decided to invade my personal space?” I questioned, though I knew not whether I cared for the answer. For just a few hours I would have liked to wallow in my own company. A few hours alone before I would have need to return to some semblance of equanimity.

My brothers however, clearly had other ideas.

“I read long ago that close proximity is a great way to comfort another. Are you comforted?” Jorlon questioned and when he raised an arm to brush the hair from my face I grabbed his wrist and shoved it back toward him.

“Well I tried.”

“Please just leave me be.”

“Wow the great Riener asked nicely, you must really be doing poorly.”

“Now is not to time for teasing Jorlon. We came here for a reason and we must see to it that it is done.” Marcan scolded and I took a breath before turning my gaze once more upon his face.

“How did you come to find me?” I questioned in mild curiosity and once again it was Jorlon who spoke.

“We followed the trail of your tears. It practically flooded the camp.” He teased and this time I reached over and shoved him away from me.