Chapter 24: Dear Rien.

Chapter 24

(This chapter is dedicated to those who risk their lives to fight for us all.)

3 years ago.

“…and I can’t wait to hold you. So come back home soon so I never have to let you go again. From your precious baby girl and your loving wife. Keep safe♥…”

The guys sat on their bunks, some on the ground, while others stood as they tore open their own mail and dug in, but we all listened as Mickey finished up his letter, and I grinned as I watched him press it to his chest with a soft smile. It was days like this that made being here easier. For those of us who didn’t get mail from loved ones, listening to a letter addressed to others was like a soothing balm over our own aching hearts.

When K9 started on his own, I got comfortable on my bunk. His brother sent him the funniest letters from back home. I could always count on a good laugh whenever he tore open his envelope.

While he spoke, I smiled down at my own care package, hands shaking as I ripped off the tape as carefully as I could. I never got letters, but this was just as precious to me, and I appreciated it more than I could say.

I’d been getting the deliveries for two years now, they came at the same time every month like clockwork, and while he always only included his initials it wasn’t hard to guess who kept sending them.

Rien.

It was one of the reasons I couldn’t get over him I decided, because despite the lack of communication, he still at least seemed to care for my comfort. The first thing I noted when I pulled open the flaps was the customary photograph he sent with every delivery. It was of a place I had never been to and as usual, it was beautiful. I turned it over, and noted the words scrawled on the back : Tuscany.

I flipped it back over and stared longingly at the green hills, a far cry from the desert, and a place I wouldn’t mind losing myself in for a while. I took in everything possible in the small picture, then brought it up to my face so I could sniff it, wondering if I would catch even a whiff of him… but as expected it smelled like one would expect a photograph to smell; like nothing  special.

 When I’d taken in my fill, I placed it carefully beside me on the bed, and one by one I pulled  the contents from the box; body wash and shampoo, socks to warm my feet, toothpaste, and all the basic amenities he usually sent. The next box I opened had other things; like pens and a small witting pad, and DVDs for the portable DVD player he’d sent me a year ago.

There were also snacks and some tinned food and of course candy; all my favorites, stuffed into one neat package. I pulled out the final item from the bottom which was wrapped carefully in a green undershirt and smiled. A kindle.

I pulled it out of the packaging, set aside the charger and earphones that accompanied it, and turned it on. It powered up in an instant and I realized it was already pre-loaded with wide array of books I was sure I’d enjoy. I smiled, running my hand over the smooth surface of the device.

That was Rien...thoughtful as usual. God I missed him.  

Every day that passed I found myself fantasizing about the day I’d visit his place again. I’d already decided I’d wear a suit. He was going to take one look at me and wonder why he’d ever let me go.

I stuffed a piece of candy into my mouth before organizing all my stuff and putting them away safely, then I spread out on my bunk, with a pen and paper in hand, looked at the kindle lying beside me, and smiled again before I put pen to paper.

Dear Rien…” I began, knowing full well that even when I sent the letter to the address stamped on the box, I’d never get one back in return, but something told me he read them.

“…Tuscany looks pretty cool, now I feel like I want to go there one day to see those green hills. Can’t tell you the last time I saw anything half as decent out here.  Thanks for the package, I really appreciate it, especially the e-book reader. Now I don’t have to wait a whole month to read another title. I miss you…bet you’re tired of hearing that… but I do, and I can’t wait to see you again.

The guys are alright… just the usual with them, some asshole stole my phone, but I figured I’d let him have it…I don’t have anyone to call anyway, so he probably needs it more than I do.

I’m lying here wondering what to write when all I can think about is how much I miss you. I wish you’d write me back, but no pressure. I don’t know why you insist on sending me an entire box of band aids with every package. I’m not as clumsy as I used to be you know. The guys are starting to call me ‘sick bay’ because of you; every time they’ve got a scrape they come to me.”

I paused in my writing and bit my lip.

“It’s okay though…you can send whatever you want…I always find some use for everything. I bet the neighborhood is quiet without me; no more trouble makers to make a fuss. LOL. Anyway, I don’t want to bore you so I’ll keep this letter short.

I miss you, I love you, and I can’t wait to see you.

-Tony.”

A month later, when I opened yet another package I pulled out a brand new phone, then I set it aside with a shake of my head to pull out the customary photograph. It was a picture of a street I’d frequented in my old neighborhood, and on the back he’d scrawled. “Too quiet.”

Those two words touched me more than I could ever say, and much like Mickey always did, I held the card to my heart and smiled.

………………………………………………….

                                            AUTHOR'S NOTES

I wrote this chapter to give you all some insight into the minds of our fellow men and women of the military. What they do isn't easy and they need our support in any way we can give it. Many of these brave men and women don't even get a phone call from their loved ones, and any soldier, marine etc can tell you that even a letter counts, a single paragraph from someone who cares that they exist.

So I put it to you...go to the link that I have provided below and adopt a soldier...it doesn't matter how old you are, you can just sign up and send one brave soldier a letter... or even a package...it could make his whole year.

http://www.adoptaussoldier.org/index.php/site/adopt

-DoUbLe.A

-unedited.