Chapter 44: The Universe Has Won.

Chapter 44

"I'd think you'd want to go defend your coven now that you know your father's not a complete asshole."

He nodded. "Had I a choice I would be in my own territory, watching over my own people, but forcing you to travel so great a distance in your condition would not be wise and I refuse to leave you here while my brother has set his eyes on you with ill intentions." Rien explained.

"Why not just give him the coven if he wants it? You said it yourself; you're not interested."

Rien shook his head. "Kandane would drive my home into the ground. It is true what father says: he is no leader."

I watched him for a while and in turn, he watched me. "So what happens now?"

"Now we wait for his attack. We are prepared, The wolves are now standing guard, the hunters have already readied their weapons, the blood-drinkers who accompanied me here are in position and as we speak, another wolf pack; friends of this camp's Alpha, enter these gates."

I shifted on the bed, trying to dislodge the discomfort I felt in my shoulder. "Shouldn't you be out there with them?"

"I will be." He said. "But for now I wish to sit in your presence."

I shivered when the sound of howls rent the air, so loud and so real that I felt the goosebumps rise on my skin. "What going on down there?"

Rien cocked his head to the side and smiled. "The Alpha is quite the orator. He has completed his speech and it has motivated his pack."

"Shouldn't you be doing the same with your own group of bloodsuckers?" I asked with a grin and he nodded.

"Perhaps."

I shook my head. "What do you think your chances are?"

"Why must we speak of war? Let us speak of other things."

I frowned. "Maybe because any minute now your crazy big brother might drop a bomb on us."

Rien seemed to consider this. "He will not use weapons. He has always preferred brute force over any manmade aids."

"Stop avoiding my question."

"Then stop asking it." He countered and this time when my frown deepened, he stood and came to sit beside me in bed, boots, fighting robes and all.

"That bad huh?"

"I have no way of knowing the outcome of the upcoming battle."

"No, but you must have some idea. You know your brother and you know the resources we have available to us, so let's just cut the bullshit...please."

For a long time he said nothing, then; "Kandane is cunning."

"So are you."

"Well then I suppose we shall have to wait and see who arises the victor."

I shifted slightly so I could watch his expression.

"You're usually more confident than this."

Once again he smiled, but it didn't quite reach his eyes. "Many things have occurred lately which have made me rethink my future and my own mortality. You could say I am more careful now."

"Like what?"

"Such as watching you lay on your deathbed while I could do nothing but stand and watch." He said. "It has taken its toll."

"Your brother said you cried."

"I was grief-stricken" Was all he said and I didn't push it.

"I heard a lot you know." I told him. "There were times when the pain became bearable and I could hear your conversations; like the things you said to Malik...the things he said to you."