Chapter 10- Someday

Someday is not a day of the week. It wasn't going to a someday when (Y/n) was going to permanently erase her connection with the Port Mafia. In fact, even she knew to this day that she was supposed to be the leader of that criminal group of ability users. Perhaps it should have remained a silent goodbye, but now noise stirred up. To make this someday happen, she took the offer of temporarily joining the Armed Detective Agency. Although, she had to have the approval from Mr. Yukichi Fukuzawa.

After Doppo revived a call from the man himself, a meeting was arranged within in conference room of the Armed Detective Agency's headquarters. Unlike all the other rooms, this area was cramped and bland. Only a small table and a large whiteboard were the only pieces of furniture in the space. There were no questions asked when (Y/n) spoke with Fukuzawa in private. He only stated a few key facts about himself and the agency as she did the same about herself and the Risen Rebels. Overall, it went better than anyone expected.

However, this gathering wasn't organized for (Y/n). A new clue was uncovered on an ongoing case involving the Azure Messenger. There was a reported threat of a bomb being planted somewhere in the city. Doppo went over bits of data about the threat as (Y/n), Atsushi, Fukuzawa, a female assistant, Kenji, and Akiko listened in. Since (Y/n) received the approval of being a brief member of the agency, and due to the situation she was in, it was a requirement for her to be apart of each mission she was assigned to.

"Do you have any information on where the bomb might be?" Akiko asked. "Not much," Doppo sighed. "Although, there was a message left by the perpetrator. I'll read it now actually." As Doppo cleated his throat, (Y/n) adjusted in her seat and cleared her mind of all off-topic thoughts she was having at the moment. Of course, she was still slightly surprised by Fukuzawa's decision, but the mention of Dazai also being wanted by Mori wasn't as hazy as it seemed. Then again, none of the others he associated with knew of his past whereabouts.

The letter read: "Greetings, I hope your agency is faring well. Forgive my impudence, but I have placed a bomb capable of causing mass destruction in a certain location here in Yokohama City. To secure the citizens' safety, I request that you locate and disarm the bomb at your earliest convenience. You have until sundown. I have faith in your abilities. Respectfully, the Azure Messenger."

This wasn't the agency's first run-in with the Azure Messenger. Unfortunately for (Y/n), who had concern as well as the others, didn't have any details over this case at all. Then again, the Risen Rebels were more like gossipers compared to the Port Mafia and the Armed Detective Agency. According to the images and notes pasted on the large whiteboard behind Doppo, the criminal

"Who could the Azure Messenger be?" the farmer boy mumbled. "We don't know as of yet," Doppo replied. A scoffed came from the woman sitting beside (Y/n). Akiko had the same expression as she did, and seemed to have an attitude of her own that was untamable. "So, it's all rigged so that if the bomb detonates, word of the agency's failure would spread like wildfire." After hearing that comment and possibly of a theory, (Y/n) smirked towards the well-dressed woman.

Akiko was someone who also took care of her appearance. She had coffee-brown hair that was styled with straight bangs and cut into a bob that reached past her chin. Those magenta eyes of hers were constantly gazing in a glare towards everyone she made eye contact with. Another thing that (Y/n) admired Akiko for rather than her personality, was her fashion. For instance, she was wearing a white, button-up blouse that had puffy sleeves that ended at her forearms, and her top was tucked into a plain and black skirt that flared out above her knees. For accessories, Akiko wore a pair of black gloves, a black necktie, and a large, golden butterfly clip in her hair.

"The agency can weather sticks and stones, but this type of attack would hit us hard," Akiko added. "Hey!" Kenji shouted. When all eyes went to the boy dressed in coveralls, he raised up his hand and grinned. "Has anyone still had trouble reaching Ranpo?" he asked. (Y/n) shook her head as she cleared her throat. "Um, Doppo, Atsushi, and Dazai seem him an hour ago at my wrecked apartment," she informed. After heading back to headquarters, the five went off and minded their own business for a while. For example, (Y/n) spoke with Fukuzawa, Doppo arranged a meeting, Atsushi ended up waiting around, Dazai mentioned a nap, and Ranpo didn't head inside the building. "Seems he's back on the case in Kyuushuu again," the slim, female assistant mumbled.

A deep sigh slipped from the nose of the leader. "Listen to all!" he said very loudly. "This case is a cowardly act using the information to attack the Armed Detective Agency. We have two objectives. One is to uncover the Azure Messenger, the instigator, and disarm the bomb." At this moment, everyone was staring sternly towards Fukuzawa as he spoke. This case was very serious, and it involved many upon many lives that needed protection.

Fukuzawa was a tall man who constantly kept a stern expression cast on his face. He was much older, and the long and silver hair wasn't the only resemblance of his age. He had wrinkles, smile creases, and those blue eyes weren't as bright as they used to be. Occasionally, he is always seen dressed in a green yukata, which is a traditional thigh-length, kimono-style jacket.

"If we can not find the bombs, then lives are at a loss. We'll no longer have the right to call ourselves a detective agency," Fukuzawa continued. "Think of this mission as a fight for the Agency's existence and pride!" As this wasn't serious enough, the tension in the room increased. (Y/n) felt determined to play her part and put in the effort needed. After all, her own group needed some sort of insight on what was happening all around nowadays. Like (Y/n), everyone stood up and gave their leader, Fukuzawa, a bow. "Yes, sir!" every member shouted.

There wasn't going to be a someday where this dangerous and unknown Azure Messenger was going to be caught. Maybe not today or tomorrow either. Soon, very soon, an end to this person's terror will be over.

"Oh! I don't know what to do!" Dazai whined. While everyone else at the Armed Detective Agency was being a bit hectic about the Azure Messenger's threat, Dazai was treating himself by gulping down tea and whining to a woman. Doppo tried contacting Dazai once the meeting ended, but all of his calls went straight to voicemail.

The young woman, who was sitting across from Dazai, wasn't someone he tried having a connection with. Sasaki was a victim of a recent attack that caused her to experience near death. "I was just trying to die, then she saved me. Again, and again, and again she does this." Before the woman could comment or give any sort of advice to Dazai, Doppo smacked him upside the head. "You skipped out on an important meeting just to complain?!" Doppo shouted.

Besides Dazai constantly running off to commit suicide, Doppo knew of another place his partner would be. The Agency's building had a first-floor café shop. It wasn't the most popular place, but it was the closest for any member to sneak off to relax, grab a bite to eat, or to discuss unclassified agendas.

"Oh, hey, I didn't see you there," Osamu whispered. Atsushi joyed Doppo on the search for Dazai. (Y/n) was invited to tag along, but she wanted to enjoy her own slice of mission planning away from everyone. By doing that, she went to the rooftop and sat on the edge facing the small city. The breeze was faint and cool, the sun wasn't as bright due to the puffy clouds gliding by, and no annoying birds or honking cars distracted her from silence. This was the perfect place to think. The perfect place to not think about approaching someday.

"I came here to remind you about the case," Doppo groaned. "Oh, yeah. I already know. Blah, blah, blah, find the messenger. Blah, blah, blah, (Y/n) is helping us." Atsushi sighed and slouched in the comfy and green booth. "Oh, this won't go well then," he said nervously. "She scares me. A bit." Dazai hummed as he stretched his arms across the booth he was leaning against. Doppo was behind him and scribbling into a notebook. "Don't worry, I'll handle her," Dazai grinned. "Someday," Doppo muttered.