The Forgotten

So, I ended going with Ed to his continental breakfast. He’d told me he’d asked Kristen, but she apparently couldn’t attend because she had to organize some papers in the archives she runs at the precinct. I roll my eyes, even I could think of a more legitimate excuse than that, but he retold it to me as if it were perfectly genuine.

“So Natalie,” he begins as we approach the Gotham City Suites Kane Lounge, “how goes the escapades with your mysterious suitor?”

“C’mon Ed, do we really have to talk about this now? It’s your day, enjoy it.” I encourage him.

“Yes, it is my day, therefore, you will answer my question with adequate detail and supporting facts.”

I sigh, “Fine,” we walk into the lounge to be greeted with a mostly empty room. The breakfast, as well as tables, chairs, and a display presenting the Whippleburn Prize and Edward Nygma as its winner have all been set up. There are two other people in attendance, one of them a woman standing by the front of the stage, and the other a woman sitting by herself at one of the tables.

“Ah yes, Edward Nygma I presume, the man of the hour! I’m Dr. Leslie Thompkins, proprietor of the Whippleburn Prize, ” the woman by the stage welcomes, approaching Ed and firmly shaking his hand, “and this is your girlfriend?”

“Just friend.” I clarify, slightly embarrassed, although a lot of people have made that assumption before.

She shakes my hand, “Well, you two help yourselves to the food. Edward, I believe your boss is here to congratulate you as well.”

Ed swivels around and sees the other woman, who is now standing in front of him, “Yes I am, congrats Ed.”

“T-thank you, Captain Essen. It’s an honor indeed.”

“You two help yourselves to the food, and enjoy yourselves.” Dr. Thompkins smiles, before leaving us.

“Would you like to sit with me once you’ve gotten something to eat?” Captain Essen asks.

Ed nods, “Of course we would.”

He and I walk over to the two tables set up and get our plates. I peer over at Ed,

“You alright? You look kind of...frazzled.”

He remains silent, his eyes shifting in various directions, “I’m...rather upset right now. This is a high honor to be bestowed upon me and yet only a single person shows up,” his gaze drifts over his boss, “and she’s probably only here on social obligation.”

He piles up his plate with an assortment of muffins, “Now, tell me about your lover. It’ll brighten my spirits to take my mind off of this chagrin.”

I frown, placing my hand on his shoulder, “First of all Ed, I want you to know that I’m so, so proud of you…”

He straightens his posture, and resumes his usual enthusiastic smile. He covers my hand with his, his eyelids becoming droopy, “I know Natalie, but you’re avoiding the question again.”

I smirk, “Alright. Well, first off, he’s definitely not my lover. And...and things have become complicated.”

“How so?”

“I don’t know if I like him...or if he even likes me. We both have something else to gain from the relationship, if you could even call it a relationship.” I explain.

“Hmm...I see,” he watches as I pour him a glass of orange juice as well as one for myself, “well, while I’ve never met this fellow, and I believe that should be rectified soon, I do know how you tend to be concerning romantic interests.”