Let the Games Begin

“Ed?” I turn around, recognizing that distinct, slightly nazzly tone.

A tall, slender man with dark hair, brown eyes, and an ever-enthusiastic smile steps out of the shadows, “So...our paths cross once more.”

After all I’ve been through in these past couple of days, or even in the few years we’ve been apart, it’s good to finally see something familiar. I smile, “So they have.”

He turns around, pointing to the alley he stepped out of, “Check this out. I was taking a walk when I discovered this.”

That’s Ed, formalities always seem to elude him. I follow him into the alley, and with a he points to the stained brick wall of an apartment building, “...what do you see?”

I scratch my chin, “I see, the side wall of an apartment...the stain, judging by the poignantly rust-like smell in the air, I’d say that’s blood-”

“And it’s fresh.” Ed points out.

“And it’s quite large as well, notice the contours of the stain. Not counting the places where the blood has dripped down, it appears to have the same outlines of a human being.”

Ed nods, “My conclusion exactly. But here’s the question: where’s the body?”

I look down at our feet, “No blood trail. Nothing to follow.”

“Ah, but that’s where you're wrong Natalie. You notice how it was raining just earlier today? Well, if there were footsteps, umbrellas, or anything that could contract and then release water anywhere in this area, their feet will have redistributed the rainwater, hence, leaving a thin trail for us to follow.”

I put my hands on my hips, “That sounds highly theoretical.”

“But that’s what’s so wonderful about theories: they’re meant to be tested!” Ed exclaims. He looks down at the mostly dry ground, but in the three way intersection of the alley, there’s one path that still has trails of water on it, “Bingo.”

We start following the trail of water, leading into the labyrinth of alleyways located in practically all of Gotham’s streets. The dark buildings tower over us, and the various fire-escapes and clothing lines further block out any hint of sunshine.

“So Ed, what have you been up to lately?” I ask him. Normal conversation with him is rather awkward, it’s the mysteries, the detective work he lives for, but I could hardly call myself the normal one out of the two of us.

“Well, I graduated from GothamU last year with masters in forensic science and criminology, and I just got a job working for the GCPD as a coroner.” he reveals, adjusting his thick-framed glasses.

“Hey, that sounds great Ed, although, the GCPD is a...weird choice. You looking to get rich off of bribes or something?”

“I feel that I could of great use to them. That department is starved of intelligent minds, and they’re in desperate need of those with the brains capable of leading them into the future.” he explains, his tone reverent and almost theatrical.

I smirk, “Well, if that’s how you feel, Ed-”

“What about you? What have you been up to these past years?” he asks, as we turn the corner, continuing to follow the trail.

I look down at the trail, and see small specks of red blood mixed in with the water, he might be on to something.

“Not much really. I never ended up finishing college.” I confess.

Ed gasps, and his expressive eyes all but bulged out of their sockets, “What?! How very uncharacteristic of you, tell me, what has led to this change?”