An Understanding

The moment I walk back into the GCPD, I'm struck by an alarming site. I instinctively shuffle backwards as I spot Don Maroni sitting at one of the police desks, specifically, my desk. Gabe stands behind him as Oswald lies on the desk, apparently unconscious. What happened?

Whatever they're here for, they can't see me here, especially Don Maroni. What would he do to Oswald if he found out he's with a cop?

Ducking under the railing, I scurry over to the nearest hallway. Hopefully no one noticed me.

"...why are you using methods of stealth in a safe environment?"

I whip around to find Ed, having once again snuck up on me, his earnest smile completely unaware of his abrupt entrance.

"Oh...Ed...uhm, well, you see...the thing is..." I scramble for an answer when Ed finds it for me.

"Are you disturbed by the presence of a major mobster in our midst?" he asks.

With a sigh, I confess, "Yes. After all, how many of Don Maroni's men have I put away? Worse, what if Maroni is planning something against the cops? Do you know?"

He moves his arms into a thinking position, "Well, from what I know, Salvatore Maroni and his men arrived here after an attack on his place of operations: the Italian restaurant Bamonte's."

That perks my attention, "Bamonte's was attacked?"

I peek my head from out behind the corner. Sure enough, on top of Oswald being passed out cold on my desk, Maroni and Gabe both appear to be covered in bruises and bandages, something I hadn't noticed during my initial panic.

"Yes, we believe the Electrocutioner is responsible for the attack, sending in a bomb that triggered an electromagnetic pulse," Ed explains with a strange glee.

As I continue to look out from behind the corner, my focus zeros in on Oswald. His pale face covered in soot, I can't help but feel sorry for him, lying unconscious on the hardwood surface. Even after all he's done, he still has his human moments.

"Don Maroni and his men have been placed under protective custody," Gordon's authoritative voice explains.

Ed and I turn around, and Ed immediately smiles, "Officer Gordon."

I place my hands on my hips, "You're really 'protecting' these guys from the Electrocutioner? Or are you just using them as bait?"

Gordon sighs, "...it's true that we intend to use Maroni to lure Buchinsky to the GCPD."

He leans in on me, his eyes just calm enough to not be threatening, "But what's important here, for you, is that there will be no intermingling with these criminals, even while they're in our protective care. Understood, Officer?"

Without hesitation I nod, "Yes."

"Good," Gordon hisses the word before turning around and walking away.

Tilting to the side, Ed grins and clasps his hands together, "Well, I see you two are getting along swimmingly."

I raise an eyebrow, "What are you talking about Ed? He hates me."

"Yes, but he no longer despises you. I'd call that progress," he points out.

My eyes lower, as I start walking down the hallway, "Why should it matter?"

Twiddling his fingers, Ed leans in to whisper, "I think you two would make a good pair."

I stop, blinking several times before turning around and smacking him on the shoulder, "Ed!"