Old vs. New

Oswald covers Mrs. Cobblepot's eyes, as he counts down, "One...two...three."

On three, he removes his hands, and backs away, leaving his mother to take in the sight of Fish Mooney's.

"Oh..." she gasps.

The band is just setting up onstage, and Gabe grabs a bottle of champagne from a serving tray, a layered chocolate cake sitting at the center table.

Backstage, Ann and I prepare the other girls.

"Alright, so Fish Mooney is out. We've got a new boss running things around here, and we want to impress him if any of us plan on sticking around," Ann tells everyone, an air of authority about her.

It's been awhile since I've been onstage at Fish Mooney's. Fish had dismissed me from my dancing position when I became Liza's look-out...but I guess now that's over.

"What do you think, Mother?" Oswald asks from outside, although we can hear them from backstage.

"Oh, it's beautiful...so classy...like an opera house," her revelry is contained in hushed whispers, but as I peek out from behind the curtain, I spot Oswald smiling at her.

Gabe pops open the champagne, startling Mrs. Cobblepot. But she laughs it off, and Gabe gives her a grin.

Mrs. Cobblepot returns to admiring the club, spotting something up high, "Oh, a chandelier...like home!"

Oswald chuckles, but I lower my eyebrows. What is she talking about? There aren't any chandeliers in the Cobblepot apartment. But then I remember what Marsha, Queen of Diamonds said about Oswald's family, and it starts to make a little more sense.

Unwittingly, Mrs. Cobblepot spots Liza's scarf that Don Falcone had left behind, "Huh!"

She picks it up and wraps it around herself, "Someone left...a scarf!"

As she twirls with it, Oswald's smile disappears, if only for a moment. Huh...

"It looks beautiful with my dress," Mrs. Cobblepot goes on, not noticing her son's change in expression.

He brushes it off, "...finder's keepers."

"And now...you are in charge of this club," she announces.

This time, Oswald's smile disappears for good, as he turns around and slams his hands onto his slacks, "Spoiled my surprise."

"No, no, no," his mother pleads, "oh, no, no, no, no don't be angry, no!"

Taking him by the arm, he turns him around, "Such good news...my boy has a club."

Oswald grins, "Will have a club. There's still a few loose ends to tie up but...soon it will be mine."

As he laughs maniacally, Mrs. Cobblepot tells him, "I am so proud of you...I could spit."

She cups her hands into his cheeks, and they both share the same maniacal laugh, as Oswald clasps his hands on top of hers.

When their session of somewhat sinister laughter is over, Oswald turns himself to the stage, "Mother, I have something more for you. A special performance from the club's dancers. Ladies!"

He snaps his fingers and me, Ann, and the other girls walk out in revealing bright purple metal corsets and miniskirts, sporting matching thigh-high boots and gray gauntlets.

"Mother, I present to you...Trixie and the Starfires!"

The band starts a snappy jazz intro, as we all sway in a single line.

"Grab a cab and go down, to where the band is playing. Where milk and honey flow down, where everyone is saying blow...that sweet and lowdown."