15: Late Night I Love You's

Nayeon

I fluttered my eyes open just to see an empty space beside me. Jeong isn't here anymore and there isn't a single soul present.

Just a single piece of paper on the bedside table with a bunch of false heather on top of it, which I can tell was plucked infront of the shack.

I grabbed both the note and the flowers. I read what's on the paper and I felt excited all of a sudden.

'Look for the fire on the seaside and find me there. ~JY'

The note said so. A beam appeared on my face anticipating on what's waiting for me there. I rushed to slip my slippers on my feet and made my way on the beach.

A bonfire showed itself on me, my girlfriend was sitting beside it while I made my way to her. The stars are sparkling so bright today just like how she shines among them.

"Hey." I called out for her attention and she welcomed me with a smile.

"Come here." She pulled me by my hand and guided me to sit infront of her. Her legs are beside me and her hands are wrapped around me from the back.

We watched how the moon goes along really well with the stars in the skies while listening to the combined music of the wind and the waves in the ocean.

The cold is bearable with the help of the bonfire that I think she set up near us and another is because of the warmth that she's giving me with her hug.

I enjoy even the silence that we're sharing together, just feeling her presence around me is good enough for me—more than enough for me actually.

I felt her hands grabbed my hand and slid a dollar folded into a form of ring in my ring finger.

"What's this?" I chuckled a bit, looking at the dollar ring on my finger. She looked straight ahead and rested her chin on my shoulder.

"I used to go home starving when I was in pre-school because I always lost my money." She started before sliding her hands around my waist again. "So my mom made me wear a dollar ring to spend if ever I'll lose my money again." She chuckled at her old stories about her clumsy days.

"That's creative." I praised and laughed along with her. She sighed before continuing her stories.

"But when my mom died, I stopped doing that because it only made me think about her." A hint of sadness can be heard in her voice and I can't help but felt sad for her.

Back when we were dating in high school, she told me about the story of how her mother died of leukaemia when she was in sixth grade.

I trully felt sad for her because of that, just the thought of losing my mother is like a nightmare for me. How bad can it be for her when she was the one who experienced it?

"Do you want to know why I folded this for you?" She asked and I turned my head to look at her, our faces are now just a few inches between each other. I waited for her answer, anticipating something good from her words.

"I want you to think of me whenever you look at that dollar ring, just like how I think of my mom whenever I see it." She said and lifted my hand with the dollar ring up and left a peck on top of it. "Marry me, Im Nayeon." She said that left me in awe.

Did I hear it right, or am I hearing things? Did she just ask me to marry her? Seriously?

I didn't answer and just looked at her, I blinked my eyes a few times and I can see how nervous her expression has turned to.

"Are you being serious right now?" I clarified but regretted after. It sounded too harsh, I can tell myself.

"Y-yeah." She nervously answered, probably not expecting that answer from me. "Is it the ring? It's just temporary. I promise to buy you something authentic when we go home."