Chapter Forty-One

Start from the beginning

"I just didn't know what to say," he began, a look on his face that plead for forgiveness. "I knew that I had to do something, but I didn't know what. Besides, we still didn't know where you and Vanessa were and I was so focused on that."

"I hate to say it, Bruno, but that is complete bullshit. I've never met one person who would see a family of innocent people locked away in a room bleeding out and chained to the wall, living in their own excrement and just closed the door and kept walking. Things don't work like that. If you ignored them, you had a reason. So what was it?" The anger in my voice was blinding. A woman brushed by us, trying not to interrupt our conversation and averting her eyes toward the floor when I looked her way.

"I'm not working for Grey," Bruno said, as if trying to take the attention off the fact that he was aware my family was shackled in the Base and didn't tell anyone or do anything.

The fury I felt overtook me, rendering me unable to think straight.

"I get where your suspicion is coming from, but I promise you're seeing this all wrong," Bruno protested, looking at me with pleading eyes.

I rolled mine.

"How would you like me to look at it? There's not exactly a positive spin to put on any of this. And there's no way I'll ever think that you did the right thing. So how do you want me to look at it?" It was hard for me to stand still in front of this coward. He was too scared of Grey or whoever else was in power to do the right thing, and it made me want to hurl.

"I couldn't do anything," was all the Bruno said.

I grunted.

"They probably would've died if I hadn't found them. They've probably lived a month of their life in pure agony. And you were too cowardly to help them."

I sent all of my anger shooting toward my fingertips and turned it into magic.

Moments later, I sent pillars of flame flying toward him filled with rage. They hit him, but I was so angry that flame engulfed the hallway around him as well. He screamed in pain, causing me to roll my eyes again. He was a wizard too; he could put it out.

"Burn in hell," I screamed over the flame and him. With that, I disappeared from the hallway and reappeared in the cold air. The wind howled around me as I sprinted through the woods. I didn't have a set destination, I just had to run. The air was colder and shaper than ice and I had to duck out of the way of any low hanging branches, but I never once stopped running, not even when my breaths became so short it was more like wheezing. The small amount of light that had been present was waning slowly.

The mixture of anger and sadness that filled me was so strong I didn't think I would ever escape it. Instead, it felt like I would be pulled into its black hole, becoming lost in the darkness.

When I finally did skid to a halt, I was in the field that I first met Vanessa in. My emotions overtook me and I didn't know what to think about or what to focus on, I just knew that I had to get it out in some way. And there was only one way I'd found that worked for emotions: magic.

I took my anger at Grey for turning my life into what it is today, at the world for not allowing me to be able to trust anyone, but most of all at Bruno for what he did, and sent it toward my fingers and then sailing out of my body in whatever form it chose to come in. Fire and water exploded out of my finger tips, balancing each other out. The wind picked up around me as well, but luckily no seeds decided to attack something.

As the different elements continued to funnel out of my fingers with my emotions, the world around me seemed to grow clearer; less muddled.

The fire clung onto anything it could, and the water thawed the frozen ground. The wind blew both the fire and the water everywhere.