Chapter Two

"Get away from me," I whispered as I cowered in the corner.

"Now why would I do that?" the dark figure asked, taking a step closer. I wondered what he wanted.

"Please, just stop," I said, feeling adrenaline coursing through my veins, but also something else; something more powerful.

"I will kill you." The man in front of me raised his knife and made a false stabbing motion.

"You wouldn't kill me," I whispered, a surge of defiance running through my trembling eight year old body. Where it came from, I didn't know.

"Why would you ever think such a foolish thought?" he asked, laughing. "You are a pathetic kid."

I wince as his foot slammed into my side, sending ripples of pain through me. Although, at the time, I barely noticed the pain; all it did was make me angry.

"Two can play dirty," I answered, wrapping my right hand around his leg, and watched the smoke rise up from his leg. He groaned in pain and pulled away from me as he looked down at his calf where I curled my hand around him. His pants burned and in tatters where I grabbed him. The bare skin that was exposed was already turning red from the burn.

A look of fear filled his eyes, and he immediately stepped away. I looked down at my hand, a mixture of fear and amazement running through me. What had I just done?

"Who are you, kid?" the man asked, looking at me.

"The one you were just trying to murder. Still aiming for that?" I asked. His eyes widened even wider; my words sure didn't sound like an eight year old's, but it almost felt as if it wasn't me speaking.

"What if I am?" he answered, taking a step closer and pulling the knife out again. I laughed at his failed attempt to put on a cold facade.

"And why would you do that? You're not fooling me," I shot back. My words even surprised me. They definitely weren't something I'd say.

Out of nowhere, the man seemingly snapped, and threw the knife as hard as he could at me. My adrenaline seemed to double, and the powerful thing that was inside of it seemed to unleash itself.

My hand rose involuntarily, and light blue shot out of the palm and formed a wall between me and the knife. 

When the knife slammed into the shield, it flickered, but the knife bounced off, and I was unharmed. The man looked at me again, more fear becoming incorporated into his expression, and he took two more steps back.

"What are you?" he asked, disgust filling his voice. I opened my mouth to answer, but I was at a loss for words. What had just happened? What was I? Was this real?

"Don't tell anyone about what happened tonight. Agreed?"

His words caught me by surprise, but I still was unable to form a coherent sentence, so all I could manage was a few animal noises and a small nod.

He took a few steps back when suddenly my body decided a different fate for him.

"You don't deserve to live if this is all you'll do." The words came out of my mouth without me planning for them to. He looked surprised and then his expression changed to fear. He stared at me wide-eyed, and then turned and sprinted away from me. If only he had just learned that he wasn't getting away.

My right hand raised automatically and his frame froze in place. I pushed myself up from the ground, dusted off my sweatpants, and ran up to the man.