Chapter Thirteen

I awoke with a start to frigid cold chilling me to the bones. 

I gasped and looked down, feeling my clothes and the sleeping bag. I was sopping wet.

I looked down, to see Vanessa and Grey laughing hysterically.

"Grey!" I exclaimed in exasperation. I imagined myself appearing on the ground, free of my sleeping bag and rope.

Vanessa fell onto the ground in laughter. She was annoying me more by the minute.

"I'm- I'm sorry! This is just too funny!" Grey chocked out between laughs.

"Are you sure you're not going to die from this? I don't think someone as old as you should laugh so hard," I commented. This just sent the both of them into another wave of laughter.

"Have you been drinking?" I asked, truly wondering.

Their laughs had gotten so hard that no noise was coming out. They were just rocking back and forth, clapping or slapping the ground.

I looked, and the sun had just risen - something that was not helping me keep warm.

Suddenly, I felt the feeling of my body transporting and the next thing I knew, I was inside and covered in blankets, Vanessa and Grey next to me still laughing.

"Really? You're still laughing. That's just childish," I remarked. But, I was grateful for whichever one of them had brought us inside and given me blankets to keep me warm.

Grey breathed hard, trying desperately to calm himself down, but failing horribly.

"What's with them?" a masculine voice asked. I nearly jumped out of my skin in terror. I snapped my head to the left and saw a man whom I recognized from yesterday walking through the door.

"They played a trick on me. What're you doing here?" I asked, still holding resentment for how they made fun of me.

"I work here," he stated, a confused look plastered on his face.

I looked around and took in the surrounding. To my despair, I realized that it was the same room I was in yesterday.

"I'm not joining in your war!" I screamed at Grey like a child being forced to eat vegetables.

Grey was breathing hard, his face flushed red and tears streaming from his eyes.

He looks toward me, face regaining normal color. He took a finger and wiped the tears from his eyes. "You don't have to. We aren't going to require you to do anything, but we would like your help."

"But the way that you first described it to me, it sounded like it wasn't even a war that is about to happen; it's just an unrest which I'm sure you can deal with on your own. You told me we were finding my mother, and that's what I want to do. I'm done wasting my time with this 'war' stuff," I answered, crossing my arms across my chest. It angered me that I hadn't even been told a plan to find her.

"That's completely fine. I promise you we will try to find her. And I'm being sincere, I just have some business to do here dealing with the war. It'll be probably a week," Grey said. The truth of the sentence laced his voice, but the idea still made me angry.

"One week! She could be killed in that time! You're useless," I accused, raising my right hand and imagining myself appearing back in my home.

Just a second later, I was standing in the comfort of my kitchen. If Grey wasn't going to help me, I would find her myself.

Grey and I had left the lights on from the last time we were there. I walked across the kitchen, and flicked the switch off. After that, I walked over to the fridge in the corner, and scanned the contents. I settled for some leftover pasta.

While it heated up in the microwave, I went upstairs to my room to change my clothes. It had been at least a few days until I'd gotten knew ones. I looked through my closet, and decided on a gray t-shirt and some blue jeans.

As I walked across my room, I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror, and jumped back, horrified at what I saw.

In the days that I had been gone, or not worrying about my appearance, layers of dirt and grime had piled up on my face, and stubble had grown all along my jawline and around my lips, ending just under my hooked nose. My brown hair had grown longer, and was sticking up in all different directions. I undoubtedly smelled foul. I needed a shower.

I grabbed a towel and washcloth and walked across the hallway into my small bathroom. The moment I turned on the water, it was warm. My shower never got cold.

I peeled off my dirty clothes that I had been wearing, and hopped in the shower. The warm water calmed me, and the dirt that had been on me flowed off with the water.

When wet, my hair flopped down just over my eyebrows, forming a small line of hair at the top of my vision; I definitely needed to cut it.

I took the washcloth and slathered soap onto it, then began scrubbing at my skin furiously. A steady flow of dirt came off of my body. 

Once I had scrubbed every bit of my body until the skin turned red, I ran a hand covered in shampoo across my head, and stood for a moment.

Getting out would mean resuming life as normal, and that I didn't want to do.

Reluctantly, I turned off the warm water, and grabbed my towel to dry off. As my skin dried, I walked across the hallway and then threw on the clean clothes I'd picked out earlier. The shaving would have to wait, because I needed to figure out where my mother was, and that was my first priority.

By the time I got downstairs, I had already decided what my initial plan would be; I needed to get back to the place where I was held captive by the people who wanted my powers gone. There was a high chance that she is there, so I needed to get back there.

I walked to the microwave and grabbed the pasta I had heated up. I grabbed a fork, then began wolfing it down.

I was halfway through the container when I heard her voice.

"Don't get too into that pasta, alright?"

"What do you want?" I asked, the words barely coherent between the pasta that was stuffed into my mouth.

"I wanna show you something," Vanessa answered, walking in front of me.

"What would you have to show me? And why would I go anywhere with you?" My exasperation towards her shown through my voice.

"Look. I'm not happy with this either, but Grey was begging me to. So your choices are to come with me or have Grey follow you around but not actually help you," she said folding her arms and giving me a condescending look.

"Fine." I put the now empty container in the sink, then turned to face her once again. "But tell me where you're taking me first."

"I'm takin' you to a spot that will help you understand," she said in a bored tone.

"Wher-"

Before I could finish, Vanessa grabbed my hand and seconds later, I was standing on a grassy surface. The air was crisp, and felt clean. Surrouding me was tall grass, mixed with wild flowers.

"Where are we?"

The birds chirped in the distance.

"We're on the outskirts of a town," the girl answered.

I looked around. In front of me, a large, empty field sat, but behind me, the landscape grew uneven. Large hills rose up, so I assumed this town was on the other side of those hills.

"Wait," I said. "This must not be any random town. What is special about it?"

"It's a town where the slave population is high. I'm going to show you what we are fighting for."

~+ Uncontrollable +~

Hey everyone! Here's chapter thirteen. Now I know that there isn't much action in this chapter, but it's a good transition chapter I think.

If you guys are enjoying this book, don't forget to vote, comment, or add to your reading list!

Thoughts on Grey? On Vanessa? Any ideas about what will happen with this 'war'? Comment them below! I'd love to hear them.