Chapter 21: Serena's POV

"No fair no fair no fair! I want to travel with Bree and Serena too!!" Theresa and her little Piplup were both jumping up and down in a show of energetic temper after Bree and I had announced our intention of traveling through Sinnoh together. We were back at Theresa's family home and lounging in the living area after a delicious dinner prepared by Vanessa.

"Now, now, Theresa. Try not to be too sullen," her dad chided gently with a calming smile as he draped an arm around Vanessa's shoulders.

"But it's not fair! Why can't I go traveling with them?" Theresa demanded, her lips forming a perfect pout as her eyes shimmered sadly. Honestly, I was surprised at Bree's stubbornness on this topic, but I just sat back and watched the two sisters since it didn't seem my place to say anything.

"For one thing, Risa, you've already got some travel companions that are waiting for you," Bree said, pointing an accusing finger toward her younger sister. Her pout immediately fell and her expression turned more petulant.

"They won't mind if you two come with us," she muttered as she gave a soft glare to her sister.

Bree was unaffected by her sister's mood swing though and pointed her finger even firmer towards her little sister.

"I have my own schedule to keep, I am not interested in having three little hooligans trying to keep up and getting lost when they can't," Bree stated seriously and I had to hold back a giggle when Theresa's face turned a splotchy red color and she spluttered with obvious rage.

"Just because we're shorter than you doesn't mean we can't keep up!" she argued, placing her fists on her hips firmly.

"Second," Bree said, holding up another finger and completely disregarding Theresa's rebuttal. "You and Serena are rivals as coordinators. If you both traveled with me you'd be entering all of the same contests and you might start getting pouty if Serena wins two or three in a row."

"I would not get pouty!" Theresa yelled, her lips quivering in a textbook pout. Bree quirked up one of her coral eyebrows in silent accusation. Theresa instantly covered her mouth, clearing her throat and looking to the side to get her face into a normal expression once again.

"Sweetheart, I know it seems exciting to travel together with your big sister and your new friend, but don't you think your friends in Jubilife City would be sad if you suddenly told them you weren't going to go with them?" Vanessa asked gently, giving her youngest daughter a sweet smile. 

Theresa's bottom lip quivered a little bit and I was surprised when her Piplup waddled over and threw herself against Shinx's side and began wailing piteously. Bree and I exchanged a look and I saw her tough expression soften. Without needing to say a word, Bree stood up and walked over to Theresa and I went over to gently pat Piplup's back as Shinx gave me a concerned look.

"Don't cry, Risa. You know I'd love to hang out and have an adventure with you anytime. But you already promised your friends that you would go on your Sinnoh journey together with them, and you should never go back on a promise," Bree cajoled, her voice now gentle as she knelt down and placed a hand on her sister's cheek, forcing her to meet her eyes.

"But I didn't know you would be back in Sinnoh," Theresa rebutted with a pitiful sniffle.

I watched as Bree gathered her little sister in a hug, chuckling gently and whispering that she was being silly. It was such a sweet moment and looking over at their parents I could see a deep love reflected in both of their eyes as they watched the interaction between their two daughters.

An intense feeling of longing filled me. I watched the tender moment as an outsider and my thoughts once again went to my mom. I had been meaning to speak to her for a while now, but I was so scared to see the disappointment that had filled her face the last time we had spoken.