Chapter 55: Multiple POV's

Ash's POV

Not taking any chances, I had locked my door and then locked myself in the bathroom before stuffing a towel under the crack of the bathroom door before finally turning on my communication device that was hooked directly to Director Falon's line. Nervous energy made me tap the floor impatiently as the device took its sweet time to connect. When the screen finally blinked into an image of Director Falon I didn't even wait to hear her normal greeting.

"A month!" I whisper yelled, feeling the panic and despair rolling around inside me ever since Neptune had let this bomb drop in her office earlier today. Director Falon blinked at my outburst and I shook my head to try and clear my thoughts.

"Director Falon, Neptune told me today that preparations for destroying this world will be over in a MONTH. We have to move now!"

Director Falon's eyes widened but her expression remained impassive. She turned away from the monitor and I thought I saw her reaching for something as if she were jotting down notes.

"Tell me exactly what you heard, Agent Ketchum," Director Falon said seriously.

"There's nothing else to tell, Director," I said in frustration, gripping my free hand in a fist as I cursed my uselessness. "She still hasn't told me how she plans to bring about the destruction of the world. All I know is that she said she should have everything ready within a month."

Director Falon frowned slightly, but then nodded and I could hear the faint sound of a pen tapping against a pad of paper. "I'll start moving our agents into position. This will be a critical time for us Agent Ketchum. You must do everything you can to discover her plan before time is up."

I opened my mouth with the intent of arguing, but Director Falon silenced me with a hard stare. To my surprise, she let out a small sigh and leaned back from the monitor.

"Do not misunderstand me, Agent Ketchum. Even if we do not have the full picture, we will make our move in three weeks. But if there is ANY possibility that we can take them down and keep them from ever attempting this again then we have a duty for the safety of the world to see this through."

All of my fight escaped me and I felt my shoulders slump as I nodded silently in agreement. I could feel Pikachu patting my leg in a comforting gesture and without even looking I reached out and rubbed his head.

"Is there anything else you need to report, Agent?" Director Falon asked. Her voice was as monotone as ever, but I could see that the corners of her eyes were pinched and I was glad that she finally seemed to grasp just how serious the situation had become. My body tensed at her question and I could feel guilt and worry bubbling up inside me.

"Yes, Director, there is," I said firmly.

My worst fear had come to pass and now Serena could potentially be in danger because of me. I had no idea what had possessed Neptune to want to take me to a pokemon contest and I didn't WANT to think about what had happened after she had kicked Pikachu out of her office, but I forced myself to explain what had happened. I also told her exactly why I was concerned about the potential of Neptune seeing Serena perform and realizing that the pokemon I was supposed to have killed all those months ago was now Serena's partner.

Director Falon listened without interrupting and after I had finished I bowed my head, ready to accept whatever scolding she deemed necessary for dragging a civilian into this situation. Long seconds passed by and I looked up, confused as to the meaning of Director Falon's silence. To my surprise, I saw that Director Falon had closed her eyes and seemed more conflicted than I had ever seen her. I held my breath, wondering what was going through her mind right now. After a good long while, Director Falon slowly opened her eyes and nodded at me.