Chapter 8: Serena's POV

A small thrill went through me as I walked up to the large white building with a red roof and a Pokeball symbol above the door. I had been in Pokemon Centers before to do checkups on my Mom's rhyhorn, and that time when my rhyhorn had gotten injured, but I had never come here as a pokemon trainer before. A similar feeling of disbelief and excitement filled me when I bought several Pokeballs at the Pokemart.

The kind cashier was extremely helpful in helping me pick out things that he thought would be helpful on a journey. He showed me special storage capsules that functioned just like Pokeballs and allowed a trainer to keep a large amount of supplies with them at all times but not need to lug a suitcase around with them. After I had purchased a dozen Pokeballs, four storage capsules, travel food, and several healing odds and ends, the cashier had even given me a special premier ball as a gift for purchasing so much.

It was with the premier ball that I had chosen to capture my wonderful Roisel. She, as far as I could tell it was female anyways, had gone into the Pokeball and I had watched the red line around the white Pokeball flash several times before a small chime sounded. I had released her immediately and she had given a cute little trill before climbing up and sitting on my shoulder and rubbing my cheek affectionately.

Now we were both standing in front of the Pokemon Center and I let out a nervous chuckle before walking up the steps and entering the building. Several pokemon trainers were lounging around the entrance hall of the Pokemon Center, just chatting. I looked around in excitement at all of the pokemon wandering around. Shaking my head to refocus myself, I walked over to the counter where a beautiful woman in a nurse's outfit with her hair pulled up in two looped pigtails was typing away at a computer behind the desk.

"Um, pardon me?" I said nervously. The woman looked up with a broad smile and I instantly felt my nervous energy relax as I found myself returning her disarming smile.

"Hello there! My name is Nurse Joy, how may I help you?" she asked as she stood up and gave me her full attention.

"Nurse Joy? Like the Nurse Joy back in Kalos?" I asked in surprise as I looked at the woman. Back in Kalos, there was a weird phenomenon where every lead nurse that worked in a Pokemon Center was called Nurse Joy and they all looked exactly the same. Although their hair was a darker pink than this Nurse Joy's, and their hair was always pulled back in a looped ponytail instead of these pigtails of the Sinnoh version of Nurse Joy.

"Similar. The Nurse Joy's in Kalos are all distant relatives of mine," Nurse Joy said with a kind smile. I couldn't quite wrap my head around that amazing coincidence, but I decided to put that to the side for now.

"Well, Nurse Joy, I have a few questions for you. I hope you don't mind," I said, feeling a little bad that I was bothering her.

"Not at all! I'm happy to help," Nurse Joy responded with a gentle smile.

"Well, the first thing is that I just decided to become a pokemon trainer and a friend of mine gave me this pokemon to have as my first partner," I explained, pointing to Roisel who let out a whistling "Roisiiii" and bounced her head up and down towards Nurse Joy.

"Well hello to you too, little one!" Nurse Joy said with a delighted smile. She leaned forward with a curious expression and held out her hand.

"May I take a closer look, please?" Nurse Joy asked politely. 

Reaching up, I gently picked up Roisel by its stomach and then passed her over to Nurse Joy. Roisel sat up on its haunches and tilted its head back and forth, seeming to study Nurse Joy as intently as she was studying Roisel.

"My friend said that she wandered into his workplace and no one wanted it. But he didn't know what kind of pokemon she is so I've been calling her Roisel, but I was hoping you could tell me what pokemon she really is and maybe what type she is?"