15. One Moment Please

Cassian stood up in a flash.

"What!?" he exclaimed.

I looked to Rae and her face had gone white. She wobbled slightly and I gripped her hand. She relaxed a little but her worried eyes stared blankly.

"Uncle Az, what are we going to do?" she asked quietly. The tall male, her uncle, but a hand on her shoulder.

"We'll fix this," he said. "I'm going to go find your parents. Come on Cass." Quickly, both of them winnowed away in the blink of an eye, leaving me and Rae alone.

"Ash," Rae said. "Are you okay going home alone?"

"Yes, but what about you?" I asked. "Are you going to be alright?"

Rae nodded and clenched her fist. "I need to find Kai. Goodnight." Then she let go of my hand and winnowed away, leaving me alone in the dark house.

What was going on? What was the Cauldron? What about a cauldron made Rae so worried. Concerned I made my way quickly to the front door. Something about Rae and her uncles' behavior left me shaken. Suddenly Prythian didn't seem as safe as I thought it to be.

✧ ✧ ✧

It was like a cloud had descended over Prythian and Velaris. What my eyes once saw as bright and colorful, saw gray and dull tones. Something about this world shifted. I knew something was off, even if all the fae around me didn't.

I think the biggest part of it was that no one had seen the Inner Circle, or their children, in three days. Including me. I was really worried. Rae was always good at keeping herself together, but I couldn't stop seeing the look of terror on her face the other night. My heart ached with the fact that I wasn't there for her. Hopefully, her brothers were looking out for her right now.

I sat on the roof off my apartment, watching the sun set slowly. The peaks of the mountain gleamed with golden lights as the sky darkened. Gold lit the sky for seconds before a wave of purple overtook the sky as the sun vanished behind the mountains.

I barely heard footsteps come up from behind me. Before I could turn around I felt arms wrap around my chest. We fell forward, over the edge of the building. Before I could let out a scream I heard the sound of wings unfurling and I was suddenly being carried through the sky. An arm was under my leg, another supporting my back. I looked up into my kidnapper's face. Golden eyes stared back at me.

"Ash," Rae whispered.

I reached up, cupping her face with my hand.

"Hi Rae," I said, a smile spreading across my face. "I missed you."

Her eyes shimmered, a soft smile lighting up her face.

"I missed you too."

Rae and I were on top of the covers of her bed. After exchanging a couple of kisses we laid back, holding onto each other. She ran her fingers through my hair, her eyes closing slowly. It didn't take long for her to fall asleep. I snuggled closer, staring into her face. She looked so tired. There were bags under her eyes, and her hair was unkempt. Her room was also a mess, much like her brothers'.

I didn't care though. All I cared about was her. I missed her so much. Her leaving was a jab to my heart. But simply hold onto each other filled that gap. That was all I wanted. To be whole. For her to be a part of me.

I woke up to a kiss on the cheek. My eyes fluttered open, and I saw Rae sitting beside me. It took me a second to recall the events of the night before.

"Good morning," Rae said. "I brought you waffles."

I sat up and saw the plate of waffles Rae had set on her bedside table. I looked back at her. She was wearing different clothes, and her hair had been brushed. She still had bags under her eyes, but they were less apparent.

"What's with last night's surprise kidnapping?" I asked.

"I missed you," Rae said. "So I brought you here."

I smiled. "That's still kidnapping."

Rae smirked. "You didn't stop me."

I shrugged and reached for the plate of waffles. There was syrup and melted butter drizzled over them, and a side of fresh fruit and cooked bacon was on the side.

"Did you make these?" I asked as I picked up the fork and knife also sitting on the bedside table. Rae shook her head.

"Leo and Capricorn did," she said. "They've been craving waffles the last few days."

I took a bite and nearly moaned.

"Tell your brothers that they're delicious," I said, swallowing down waffle.

"I'll be sure to let them know," Rae giggled.

After I finished the plate of waffles with Rae we went down to the kitchen to clean our dishes. We played around with bubbles and nearly broke a few plates. But it was all worth it to see the smile on her face.

After Rae set the dishes aside to dry her smile began to fade. I took her hand in mine.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"I wish we could have more times like this," Rae said. "But I'll be busy for the rest of the week. I had to beg my family to let us take a break from meetings this morning to spend time with you."

"This Cauldron thing is really bothering you, isn't it?" I asked.

Rae slumped over, resting her head on my shoulder.

"I don't want to worry you, but I don't know what's going to happen." I heard Rae take a deep shaky breath.

"Rae..." My voice trailed off as Rae wrapped her arms tightly around me.

"Please," Rae said softly. "Let me have this moment."

We held onto each other tightly, letting the minutes slip by.

It was too soon when she let go.

It was too soon when she winnowed me home.

And it was too soon when she had to say goodbye.

✧ ✧ ✧

I roamed around the Rainbow, looking for a new pair of shoes.

Vendors yelled out to me, promoting their items. Down the street, the glass in shop windows glinted in the sunlight. Children ran in the street, chasing water creatures one of their friends had created. Fae young and old alike mingled in the streets.

It was a quiet day. The sun was bright, and it was a rare warm day for the autumn season. Every fae outside was enjoying the nice weather, and getting some shopping down, or taking a peaceful stroll.

But of course, it's always the nicest days that get ruined.

A/N

I know it's short... Please don't rage.

Ya'll we're getting closer to the end of Part 1.