2. The Gateway

The majority of the day was spent outside, as we basked in the sun and enjoyed the beginning of spring. It felt kinda weird, having my birthday on a solstice, and knowing we were celebrating two things instead of one. I didn't really mind, but sometimes I wanted just one day to myself.

Eventually, we all went inside for dinner, as it started to grow late. We sat down and I go to sit next to Calvin, with my sisters on my left. I was served first, and I smiled before taking a bite of my food. I was served a delicious roast turkey, with a side of mashed potatoes, gravy, vegetables, and a huge assortment of other foods.

I watched Loki as he showed Uncle Aedion his fire powers, he congratulated him on his training. Fenrys joined their conversation rather quickly and they all started talking to one another about training. Mom and Dad were in a deep conversation with Elide and Lorcan. My older brothers were all talking with one another and managed to drag Calvin into their conversation. Then there were my sisters who were happily chatting it up with Aunt Lysandra.

I slowed my chewing and swallowed roughly. I set my fork down and glanced around the table. Again, I felt like an outcast, and yet today was supposed to be my day. I couldn't believe that I expected things to change. I swallowed back tears and continued to eat.

After we finished all the dinner courses and a beautiful chocolate cake was brought in, adorning with frosting shapes of my favorite flowers, poppies. It was cut up quickly and slices were passed around. I watched Mom nearly shove the entire thing down her throat in a matter of seconds and along with everyone I couldn't hold back a laugh. Dad leaned over and kissed her chocolatey lips and she returned it. I looked away. I wondered that one day, would I ever find my mate?

Mom and Dad were extremely lucky. The chances of them finding each other in the right era and place were slim. Then there was Elide and Lochan, who always expected each other were mates until one day the bond snapped in place. They were also lucky, to know without actually knowing. But out of all the visiting fae I've met, I had never met another pair of mates.

After the dessert was cleared away I realized I had never announced my plans. Everyone was starting to get up when some alcohol and other drinks were brought in. Wine was poured into some glasses and I was passed a glass. I had never had wine before, and it didn't smell too appealing. My younger siblings were passed some fizzy drinks and they looked longingly at the alcohol.

Dad raised his glass. "A toast," he said. "For friends and family, and my beautiful daughter's transition to adulthood." Everyone cheered and took a drink. I sipped mine and gagged but managed to swallow it down. The wine had an awful bitter taste and it was tangy, like citrus fruit. I set it on a table not caring if my siblings ended up stealing it.

"Thanks, Dad," I said when everyone finished taking a drink. "I also have something I would like to announce."

I looked to Calvin who gave me a smile and a thumbs up. I smiled back at him.

"I have decided that I'm moving to Prythian," I said happily.

Silence filled the room. Then it was cut short when someone's glass shattered against the tile floor. I winced at the sound and looked around. The glass at Mom's feet lay shattered, red wine puddling up on the floor. I looked up at Mom who was nearly shaking with fury.

"No," she said her eyes piercing into mine.

"Why not?" I asked, trying to be cautious. "I'm an adult now. I can go into Prythian and explore without having someone else with me. Allan has done it before."

"But that was because we sent him as a representative for a meeting while your mother and I were busy dealing with the peace between our country and others," Dad said.