Chapter 80: Dark Dreams

He was a rugged doll barely breathing in her grasp— beaten, broken, torn, wounded, many things. It was false hope that kept bringing out the optimist in her. She hated fate for one moment, just one moment.

Maybe he could still open his eyes; stare at her with those golden flecked green irises. Maybe, just maybe, they can still wake up next to each other, three in the dawn, his throat humming those composed love songs while she press her ear to his heart just to go back to sleep.

But when those words escaped his lips like a sordid prayer or plea "O-oh snowflake, I would really love to die in your arms.." "I want to die hearing your beautiful voice.. I want to die with the sight of your gorgeous blue eyes."

"A-aiden.."

It wasn't how the tears were freely streaming down her cheeks, it wasn't the red liquid that stained the icy fabric.

It was how she said his name.

Her fingertips traced the scratches etched on his cheeks; tickling the flesh with frost. But it came to her with utter sense that he can no longer feel anything.

"I love you."

If it was somebody else holding their husband this way, it could've been the striking realization that they are no longer holding their beloved but a corpse that needs to be buried.

But she meant those three words. Because she sees no corpse, no dead body— she only sees her husband.

Her hand slid to intertwine with his unmoving one, but even though he's no longer living, his hand still fitted hers like a glove.

Her eyes shut tightly once she laid them on his frozen smile... But nothing was left to say. Nothing was left to do.

A feature that would be frozen in time.

Because he did indeed, died with joy.

Her noticeable silent sobs can be heard by the troops of Ignaeran Guards, Lieutenant Aksel, King Asbjorn...

All were silent.

She pressed her forehead against his, letting her tears stain his travel lapel with no rush, no anticipation... Just grief.

And that was the last time she held him so closely.

That was the last time she held him.
______________________________________

"Elsa! Snowflake!"

Her blue eyes fluttered open when she heard his voice, and many things stopped at once. Her crying stopped. Her sobbing stopped. Her heaving chest stopped.

The pain stopped.

It wasn't her who held him— but it was him who held her, cradling her in his arms protectively with his other hand rubbing circles on her back while his other wiped her tears comfortingly. He never had the chance to speak when she roughly cupped his face with shaky palms, breath quivering and eyes glossy.

"gods above Elsa, you scared me." Aiden sighed in relief, bringing her face closer to him, "Darling what's wrong? You were crying... Thrashing, in your sleep."