Chapter 12 ~ Old Friends

Start from the beginning

Atanas said nothing in return. His jaw was clenched and I knew he hated to be forced to look up. He never looked up at anyone. Whoever had perished here had meant a lot to Atanas. I was surprised he'd never mentioned the loss of his friends here. Perhaps they were the ghosts he was seeing when he realised where we were being lead.

"You summoned us for a reason. Why bring up the past?" I asked, loud enough that my voice bounced off the walls.

Titus' gaze flicked from Atanas to me and his head tipped to the side. He seemed to consider me a moment before he whipped around and disappeared through the archways behind him. I faltered. Was he leaving?

My skittish nature rose up again, my eyes darting to the shadows. A glint of metal occasionally broke through the dark. The sound of soft steps and Titus appeared on the arena with us. I didn't know if I preferred being able to see him better, to having a safe distance between us when he stood on the balcony.

Atanas watched Titus approach with careful midnight eyes. He stopped a few feet away and I got a good look at him. Light brown hair curled around his features, grey eyes bright and calculating.

"I heard on the wind that you'd taken a mate, Atanas. I was glad to hear you'd taken back your crown at last as well. Or at least, you're trying to. Airell always was a snake of a creature," he drawled.

He was waiting for us to take the bait, to see how we'd react, but both of us stayed still. I wouldn't move until Atanas told me to. Not until we knew whether he was friend of foe.

"And yet you never came when summoned by me, Titus. Which makes me think you have chosen the side of the snake," Atanas replied, disdain in his eyes. "Did he promise you could keep your territory?"

Titus snorted. "You think I need Airell to stay in power? I'm more than happy with what I have here, I don't need someone like him. We are one of the oldest nations in the world. Once the seat of power. My followers are all loyal to me, not any king."

"I stand here now as King. You're either with me or against me. One option will allow you to keep you territory. The other way ends in your execution. A warning for all those that don't pledge loyalty to me!" Atanas growled, stalking his way forward.

To his credit, Titus only took one fearful step back as the power of an ancient crackled in the air. I hoped every vampire here watched as their master backed down to my mate. Regaining his senses, Titus straightened up. Atanas looked as if he was daring Titus to make a move against him as flexed his hand.

"I am Caesar here!" Titus declared furiously, his own power seeping into the air.

"Then why have done nothing about the killings going on around you?" I snapped, stepping up to my mate's side.

Titus faltered, shrugging a shoulder. I could see the cogs turning behind his eyes, fighting for some excuse. The blond vampire reappeared at the doorway, doing his best to look menacing but I ignored his presence.

"Sometimes a few killings slip through the cracks. Killing is in our nature. I have vampires patrolling the streets just as you have to try and catch who it is. Padraig would have told you as much had you thought I ask him before coming here with your accusations." Titus sighed. He looked almost bored now, all aggression gone. "I haven't sided with Airell. I don't hold human life in high standing but I don't agree with his plans for them. Like I said, I'm content with what I have here."

I watched Atanas assess the man before him. Part of me still expected he'd attack so when his cold expression broke out into a grin, I wondered if I was imagining things. Titus grinned too, slapping Atanas' shoulders before they embraced each other.