Chapter 28 ~ The Frosted Spoon

The two of us walked over to The Frosted Spoon holding hands. We always used to hold hands when we were little.

We walked into The Frosted Spoon and stood a few feet away from the counter so we could look at the menu.

"What do you want, Mag?"

I looked at the menu for a few seconds, then I made my decision.

"Well, I think I'm gonna get Moose Tracks."

Anthony nodded.

"I think I'm gonna get Rocky Road."

"Of course you are, it's your favorite!"

"Guilty as charged."

   We laughed and then stood at the counter and waited for someone to take our order.

   It seemed like no one was there.

"Hello?"

   I looked at Anthony with a worried expression on my face and he just smiled a little.

"Don't worry, I'm sure someone's here. HELLO?"

   We waited for about ten minutes until someone finally came. It was a very tall and skinny girl. She looked just a little older than us.

"What are you two doing in here?"

   We looked at each other with a confused face. Anthony spoke to her.

"We just wanted to get some ice cream."

"Well, we're closed. How did you get in here?"

   Anthony glanced at me.

"The door was open and the lights were on. There was no closed sign either. It said open."

   The lady put her head in her hands.

"That's the third time this week! I'm so gonna get fired."

"Oh we won't tell anyone." I said.

   She looked up.

"You won't?"

   Anthony gave her a warm smile.

"Of course not, not as long as you give us some ice cream. Then we'll be on our way and pretend this never happened."

   She smiled.

"How about this, I'll give the two of you free ice cream."

   We smiled widely.

"That sounds like a plan."

   She gave us our flavors and we left the shop. Once we were outside, we sat down on one of the benches and started to eat our ice cream.

"I really missed having time like this with you Mag. It's been so long."

"Me too. I'm so mad that my mom made us move."

"She was only doing what she thinks is best for you. If she couldn't pay off the bills, then you would've had your house taken away from you eventually."

I let out a little sigh.

"Yeah, I guess you're right. It just sucks that I can't see you anymore."

"Yeah, it does. At least we have this week though."

"I'm so happy that Josh offered to take me here. If he hadn't, I never would've been able to come back."

Anthony's face seemed to drop a little at the mention of Josh's name.

"Yeah, that was very nice of him."

"Are you upset that Josh had to come with me?"

   Anthony turned completely towards me.

"Honest answer?"

"Always."

"Then yes. I was hoping I'd get to see you and only you, but now I have to deal with this guy. I mean he's nice and all, but, you know."

"I know."

   He looked the tiniest bit confused.

"You do?"

"Yeah. It must be kinda hard for you to see me with some other guy who is acting like he's my best friend. You just admitted to me on the beach that..."

"Can we not mention what I said about him in the beach?"

"Okay, well, I already know what you think so I do get it. At least now I do. But I only know that because you told me."

   He looked down.

"I'll try to tell you those kind of things more now."

"Good."

   We were silent for a minute as we ate our ice cream and, to be honest, it was a little awkward.

   Then Anthony spoke, and it was kind of sudden so it startled me a bit.

"I'm sorry."

   I turned to him.

"For what?"

   He took a little deep breath. It was so small that only I would've noticed it.

"For a lot of things. I know I haven't been texting or calling you a lot lately and I feel so bad about it. I've just been so busy. I'm also sorry for thinking all of that stuff I told you on the beach. You must think I'm pretty stupid for that. I'm also sorry that I didn't do as must as I think I should've to help you stay here. And the last thing I'm sorry for is not telling you something that I should've told you a while ago."

   He had my complete attention.

"All is forgiven except for that last part. What do you wish you told me?"

   His face turned a light red color.

"I...I.."

"Yeah?"

"I love you."

   My heart started to flutter and I felt like bursting, but he continued.

"I've always loved you, every single day of my life, but I was always too sky to say it. I hope you feel the same way, but if you don't, I'll try to understand."

   I had already gotten emotional, but now I had to answer him.

"Anthony, I love you too. I always have."

   He pulled me into a tight hug. Once we pulled away, we slowly moved close again, and then we kissed.

   Everything felt right in that exact moment. We moved away from each other and both of our faces were tinted red.

   Then we walked home and snuggled into bed together. It had been one of the best nights ever.