Chapter 15: Transfer

"Damn Kyoya, what the hell is up with him...," I grumbled as I trudged down the hallway of the Hibari's mansion.

I hissed as I pressed an ice pack on my cheek. Running away meant a treat for a predator. I owned the bruise when I tried to dodge his tonfas. Tsuna barely caught up with us due to his low stamina. He turned pale when he saw the bruises and blood on my body.

He was trembling with tears leaking out of his eyes. He burst into tears as he rushed to check my injuries. I smiled, ignoring the throbbing pain, and ruffled his soft hair. I enjoyed the texture before being dragged back by the skylark.

"I can't get what is on his mind," I sighed, shaking my head.

"What is on?"

Someone stood close behind me spoke up. A large shadow loomed over my small body. I reacted, lifting the ice pack and pivoted my body to throw it at whoever. A loud smack indicated I successfully hit it. However, when I looked up, my mouth dropped.

I just threw an ice pack at the head of the household. The ice pack landed on his face, hiding what expression he made. My anxiety grew as he stood there like a stone.

'Oh. My. God. He is going to blow up,' I broke into a cold sweat. A minute passed, he showed no movements. I stared at him, waiting for a reaction. I did not dare to move a single limb. When he lifted a hand to grab the ice pack from his face, my heart stopped.

His bangs covered his eyes as he looked down at the ice pack in his hand. I gulped as I tried to figure out what I should do or say.

"U-Uncle Hibari, I am sorry for hitting you-No, it was my mistake! My body r-reacted and t-threw it! I'll clean the house! Cook for every meal! Anything to make up for an apology!" I shouted, bowing deeply.

The older man stood still. I fidgeted, nervousness clawed my insides. He then moved his feet and paused in front of me. I chewed my bottom lip, feeling stuffy in the tight kimono. I observed his black kimono, afraid to meet his eyes.

'I am dead. I am dead. Goodbye, world. Goodbye,' I cried on the inside, bracing for an impact. Suddenly, coldness seeped on my head. Elder Hibari placed the ice pack on my head. My brain short-circuited, unsuspecting this outcome. Confusion struck my core as I tried to take in what he just did.

Was this a punishment?

"Press it on your bruise," he told me.

"H-H-Hai!" I did as told. Silence came over us. I sweatdropped, wondering what to say. I have a few encounters with him, but we rarely interacted; we just stared at each other. It was the first time he spoke to me.

"Um-U-Uncle Hibari? Is there anything you want with me?" I asked stiffly.

"...You are not like your father," he said as he stared down at me.

"H-Huh?" I questioned, observing his blank face, clearly puzzled as to why he bought up my father. "U-Uncle Hibari, I am not like Papa?"

He nodded, "He is very annoying. You are not."

I titled my head; my mind paused for a second there. Elder Hibari just complimented me?? That somehow felt...nice.

After that awkwardness, he patted my head and walked off. I depicted that Uncle Hibari is a much better person than that mini skylark.

| ... |

I stood in front of the enormous gate, staring at it with a blank face. I could hear Father cried out for missing my first day as a transfer student. I groaned to myself as I dreaded going to school again. I could easily ace through, but I did not want to cause too much attention.