Chapter 12: Family friend

Yukari was a beautiful woman with a touch of grace. From seeing the large house, she must be a woman of high status. Her family could be related to some rich business.

"My, my, Kiyotaka, you have gotten more violent since I last saw you~" Father dodged an incoming jab to his side. "And a paper knife? You know it is dangerous to swing around sharp objects."

"Shut up and fight me," the man named 'Kiyotaka' sneered at the white-blonde haired man. 

I did not expect a man swinging a knife at Father. His face darkened as Father kept avoiding his attacks. He growled and pulled his arm back. The knife went flying straight to Father's face. Blue eyes widened at the sudden throw. His instincts took over as he leaned his head back. The knife skimmed across his cheek and cut through his fringe.

The velocity continued at constant speed; the knife headed towards us. The silvery cutlery glimmered as it neared me. My reaction stalled as if I was struck in a daze. My eyes remained open as I watched the sharp tip come closer. 

Suddenly a flash of red swiped across my vision, knocked the weapon to the side. I blinked and absorbed what just happened. I noticed how my hands tightly clenched on Mother's dress top. 

"Kiyotaka, Yuto-san, stop the meaningless fight. You could hurt an innocent bystander," Yukari snapped a red hand fan closed. 

"Chi-chan, Mari-chan, are you alright?!" Father ran towards us, eyes raking over our bodies for any injuries.

"We are all right. I heard the air swish and swoosh. Did something happen?" Mother, being her clueless self, asked. 

"Ah, er-Kiyotaka and I were practicing a, er, boxing! Yea, we saw the matches on live and were passionate about it that we decided to try it out!"

Real nice lie, Papa. Like hell people would believe that.

"Oh I see!" Mother chimed. I wanted to slap my face. I was almost stab in the eye by a small knife!

"Fight me, Hiragii." 

"Later, Kiyotaka-kun. We have guests here. Now is not the right moment," Yukari patted the man on his arm.

"Hn," his response to her words, shoved his hands inside his kimono sleeves. I took the time to analyse the man. Narrowed black eyes drilled holes at Father's head. His raven hair have several grey locks, signalling his growing age. He wore the traditional grey kimono. He was two heads taller than Yukari.

Then his black eyes shifted to me. My body automatically stilled, my blood ran cold. His penetrating gaze stared into my poor soul. I felt a deja vu in this situation.

Look away. Look away! I screamed inside. 

"Kiyotaka, you are scaring her," Aunt Yukari stopped him thankfully. 

| ... |

We seated in front of the couple, sipping on teas as we conserved. Mother and Yukari talked animatedly about their past days, every now and then the two men added a few words in. Although, the two women were doing most of the talking, the two men were having an intense stare-down. Father smiled innocently at Kiyotaka, who in return, gave a murderous look. Electricity crackled between their eyes, probably imaging each other's deaths.

I squirmed in my cushioned chair, uncomfortable from the tension in the room. I quietly nibble a rice cracker, staring at a glass of apple juice as if the color was interesting.

The intense moment halted when the door opened. 

"Mother, Father, why did you call me?"

A young boy in yellow overalls approached Yukari and Kiyotaka.