December, 13th - Part 2

Rich brown eyes captivated mine as his strong hands held me off the floor. 'We keep meeting like this,' his husky voice teased snapping me out of my daze.

I slowly found my feet again before gently pushing away from Nate. 'Thanks.'

I know my reply was curt but I was still pissed at him for blurting out my life story; to Santa of all people!

Without another word I made my way for the exit, 'You're being immature Alice!' my conscious remarked and I hurriedly told her to shut it.

'Hey Alice, wait up!' Nate called and followed behind me. He really did remind me of a puppy.

'Alice, where are you going?' He said as he kept pace with me.

Ok, I know. My conscious was right, and when wasn't she? Conscious' are suppose to be, and I hated it!

I was being childish. But for good reason. I, for some stupid reason, decided to finally trust someone with my past, only for him to abuse that privilege.

'Alice.' Nate said quietly and firmly as he grabbed my arm, spinning me around. It didn't hurt, but it shocked me cause I didn't think he would do that.

I refused to look at him and only looked at my feet, 'What?'

'Why won't you look at me?' His voice was full of concern and I could just imagine him tilting his head.

Silence passed between us with neither one of us making the effort to talk. Well atleast I wasn't making an effort, I don't know why he wasn't. 'Cause you are being a child!' Again my conscious had to have her two penny's.

I heard him sigh and felt his breath on the top of my head. I only just realised how close he was standing. We were basically a few inches away from touching.

'Alice.' Again he said my name, almost exasperated. 'I don't know what I have done, but I can't fix it unless you tell me.'

'Just talk to him!' Stupid conscious, was she not listening to my heart?

I wanted nothing but to look at him and forget my stupid childish behaviour, but I just couldn't and I don't know why.

'Ok, well if you're not going to talk to me...' He paused, 'then you'll have no objections to accompanying me.'

What!? Next thing I knew he was holding my hand and started pulling me toward the parking lot.

**********************************

I don't know how I ended up in the passengers side of his car, but I found myself staring out the window of a, believe it it not, a rusty Holden ute. Apparently I was still hell bent on giving him the silent treatment.

My conscious screamed at me to just talk to him already! But my heart wasn't ready just yet, it was waiting for something. And again I didn't know what.

It was silent again between us as he drove along the busy freeway. Then all of a sudden music poured from the speakers. Music that sounded too rehearsed and over played, you guessed it... Christmas carols.

I cringed and grounded my teeth together. Nate chuckled beside me, 'No objections to my choice in music either?'

I looked at him then, staring daggers into his soul. He knew how I felt about everything this 'festive season' had to offer. Was he trying to torture me!?

He only started to laugh harder at my expression. 'Your smile is more beautiful but I will take what ever look you throw my way, as long as I get to see those blue eyes.'

Instantly my cheeks burned and I knew by the smirk that appeared on his face, that he noticed it. Quickly I snickered before closing my eyes and sticking my tongue out at him. Which of course only made him laugh harder.

**********************************

How long have we been driving for? Opening my eyes I seen that the sun was close to setting and we were no longer on the freeway.

Instantly the hair on my neck rose as I felt panic set in. Where the hell was I? More importantly, why the hell was I even here!?

I mean, what did I even know about Nate? I know he likes dressing as miniature creatures with pointy ears and that's about it. He could be a serial killer and I just let him take me for a drive? I've gone completely loopey!

Nate must have noticed the rise in my anxiety and spoke softly, turning down the horrific music. 'We are almost there.'

Which didn't help my slowly rising panic. Where was 'there?' Was I ever going to see my messy apartment again? What about my family?

Just as I was at the brink of losing my lunch Nate pulled down a dirt road. 'Where the hell are you taking me?' My voice croaked.

'Ah, she speaks!' He laughed.

I turned to him then, all anger and pride gone as fear won control. Through clenched teeth I spoke more carefully, 'I said, where the HELL are you taking me!?'

The car seemed to stop and Nate turned off the engine, facing me. He looked at me in confusion and concern, 'Why don't you see for yourself?'

I didn't want to take my eyes off him, what if he did something when I wasn't looking? When I didn't move he unbuckled his seat and got out of the drivers side door.

Acting on instinct I immediately locked both doors. I looked to see Nate standing at my door with confusion written all over his face.

I knew how to drive an automatic but this stupid rust bucket was a manual. Shit! I thought to myself.

'Alice?' Nate's voice broke my train of thought as he tapped on the window.

I looked to him, frantic that he may break the window. I looked for a way out as his voice caught my attention again, 'Alice? Please just see where we are. I'm not a serial killer, I promise.'

'Just look idiot! It's not like he can harm you in here anyway!' Slowly I looked out the window screen and seen a flashing sign that read, 'Pine Plantation: Pick the Perfect Tree.'

My brows furrowed in confusion. A tree plantation? Then the loud sound of a click! broke my gaze. I looked to see the locks on both the doors pop up. Nate pulling open my door.

'Are you ready to pick the perfect Christmas tree?'