December, 11th, 2014

That was five years ago, making me 19 now. These days when Christmas comes around I'm generally held up in my apartment, escaping all the cheer and joy.

And most of all, avoiding the cold. I hated the cold as much as I hated Christmas. So much so that my friends call me Scrooge this time of year.

Anyway this year I had landed myself a cool job at my local shopping centre, working in a lolly shop. The store was doing really well coming up to Christmas and I loved to see the smiles on the kids faces.

'Alice you have to wear one! Everyone else is!' My coworker, Angie loved Christmas and was insisting I wear a Santa hat.

'Angie, for the last time, hell no!' She whined like a little girl before finally giving up and stalking off home.

I was closing early this evening to, believe it or not, do Christmas shopping. Not for me though, but for the store. My boss instructed me to 'decorate the store because you have an eye for detail.' His words, not mine.

I liked my job and so I didn't complain, when he was around atleast. I walked to Kmart knowing how cheap it was and because well, I love Kmart.

'Ill just get this over and done with,' I mumbled to myself, wrapping my scarf tighter around my neck.

My mind set on doing this hideous shopping quickly so I could return to my warm apartment, had me smiling at the thought of my comfy couch. But alas my happiness was short lived when sitting right outside Kmart was 'The Big Man' himself.

There was a line of adorable kids waiting patiently to sit on the Creep's knee and tell them what they all wanted. Like seriously, these kids don't even realise how weird it is to sit on some random old guy's knee.

Cringing slightly I walked widely around the whole 'festive' charade when I suddenly bumped into something hard.

I tumbled backwards and landed in my butt, 'Oh gosh!' was my brilliant response.

I looked up to see what I had embarrassingly bumped into, hoping it wasn't a huge pole that could have easily been avoided. When I looked up I was surprised to see an Elf looking down at me with concern.

Mind you this wasn't some little creature with pointy ears and jingling shoes; this Elf stood about 6'1, with an athletic figure, dark brown hair and chocolate brown eyes.

Thinking to myself how weird it was to be checking out an Elf, I quickly stood up and dusted myself off. I met his eyes again and now noticed the small shade of stumble that famed his perfect jawline.

'Sorry,' we both spoke at once, his husky voice silencing mine.

We both stood there in silence of awhile before I snapped out of my daze, 'My gosh I am so sorry, I wasn't looking where I was going and-'

'Its ok, you're not hurt are you?' His voice was deep and sounded silky if that's even possible.

'Me? I'm fine, and you?' My voice wavered and I mentally smacked myself. Be cool Alice! my conscious snapped.

'Yeah I'm also fine.' His eyes seemed to lighten as he smiled and rubbed the back of his head.

'Elf! Where are the kids gifts!?' A bellowing voice called from behind me, making us both turn. Santa frowned at the gorgeous Elf standing before me.

'Sorry, I have to get back. But I'm glad you're ok,' he nodded before rushing off toward Santa; my eyes following his perfect frame.

He turned to look my direction and instantly I felt the blood rush to my cheeks. I quickly turned back around and continued toward Kmart, 'he didn't see me did he?' I thought to myself.

I subtly looked over my shoulder to see him with a large grin on his face before he placed a small gift into a little girls hand.