10

Back up the stairs and into the main lobby, then across to an elevator.

"Keep moving," Thomas tells Teresa, his hand on her arm.

I reach out and press the "up" button, then press it several more times. "Come on, come on," I whisper, and the doors finally ding open. We get in, and I press the close button. Just as the doors are an inch apart, a hand slips between them.

"Hold it," Janson says, slipping in and standing next to Teresa. I tighten my hold on my blaster, seeing Newt and Thomas do the same. "You're working late," Janson says to Teresa, "that's what I like about you, Teresa, no matter how bleak things get, you just... well you never give up. In times like this," he continues, "you need a friend that you can count on."

"I'll bare that in mind," she says stiffly.

"Everyone here has sacrificed so much for this cause," he says, "I, for example, gave WICKED my daughter when she was five years old."

"What was her name?" Teresa asks.

"When I brought her here, she was called Lillian. But her name is (Y/N) now." My heart thuds in my chest. There's got to be more than one (Y/N) in this building, surely. This human stain can't be my father.

"You must be very proud of her," Teresa says, and Janson nods.

"Yes," he says, "she produced stunning results in the Maze trials. She reminds me a lot of her mother."

I have no idea what to do. I'm cold all over. What he said when we first met comes back to me, "you look so much like your mother." I have to physically restrain myself from jumping forward and smashing his head into the wall. Newt gently touches my arm, looking straight ahead.

"There is one thing you should know," Janson continues to Teresa, "one friend to another, Thomas is here." We freeze, Teresa turns to look at Janson. "The surveillance picked him out outside the walls," Janson continues, "Ava didn't want you to know, but there's a chance that he may try to contact you, and if he does... well I'd like to think that I'd be your first call."

"Are you going to kill him?" Teresa asks, looking straight ahead.

"Will that be a problem?"

There is no way that I'm even distantly related to this piece of shit.

The elevator beeps, saving us from further awkward conversation.

"This is me," Teresa walks out the doors, and we follow her. I cast one last look at Janson, then walk off down the walkway.

"Thomas, you have to listen to me," Teresa is saying, "getting that serum won't save Newt. It might buy him some time, but-"

"Ignore her," Newt says, his accent made much more noticeable by the mask over his face, "she's tryna get inside your head."

"Thomas listen!" Teresa keeps talking, "You know what's going on out there, people are dying, the world is dying! There's something about your blood I don't understand," we come a glass door.

"Open it." Thomas orders, and Teresa does.

"Let me run some tests!" she continues, "I promise I can protect you!"

I snap of my daze, ripping off my helmet. "Yeah?" I break in, ignoring Newt and Thomas, "Like you protected Minho?"

"(Y/N), put your bloody helmet back on!" Newt says, but I push past him, cornering Teresa.

"How many more people is it gonna take? How many more people do they have to round up, torture, kill, when does it stop, Teresa?"

"It stops when we find a cure." She says coolly.