7

The next two hours are some of the longest I think I've ever experienced in my life. I pace the room, waiting for them to come back. They don't.

"(Y/N)," Frypan says eventually, "stop doing that."

"What?" I snap, then feel bad. "Sorry, I'm just worried."

"Yeah," he says, "so am I, but we have to trust them."

I sink to the floor, tipping my head back against the wall. A scraping noise makes me look up, and I look at the grate to see it sliding off the hole, a shaved head of brown hair appearing. It's Gally, closely followed by Thomas, then Newt.

"Thank God," I mutter, springing to my feet and rushing over to him, "what happened?"

"Nothing," he says, "we're fine, just like we said we would be. You can stop worrying."

"Why did you take so long?" I ask, and he shrugs.

"We were only gone for a little while, not that long."

"You were gone for two hours."

"See? Not that long."

I roll my eyes.

"Ok," Gally drops his torch and bag on the table, and we gather around, "we can get in, we'll use Thomas."

"How?" Brenda asks, and he holds up a hand.

"Teresa's in there." Thomas says numbly, and I glance at him. It must be hard, he obviously loved her. Probably still loves her.

"She works for WICKED," Gally continues, "but she'll come if she sees Thomas. We can use her to get inside."

"Will that work?" I ask sceptically, eyeing Gally.

"Hopefully," he says.

"Hopefully?" Frypan says, "We're going in there on "hopefully?""

"No," Thomas says, "there has to be another way."

"Like what?" Gally says, "You've seen the building, she's our only way in."

"You really think she's gonna help us?" Thomas is pacing around, hands on hips.

"I don't plan on asking her permission."

"Am I missing something here?" Brenda leans forward, her chin on her hand. "This is the same girl who betrayed us, correct? Same dick?"

"I like her," Gally says.

"What's going on?" Brenda ignores him, looking at Thomas.

"What," Newt says from beside me, "you afraid your little girlfriend's gonna get hurt?" He looks sideways at Thomas, frowning. "Hm?" he prompts, then continues. "This has obviously never been just about rescuing Minho, has it?"

"Newt..."

"Shut up, (Y/N)."

"Newt," Thomas says, "what are you talking about?"

"Teresa!" Newt gets up, stepping towards Thomas. "She's the only reason Minho's missing in the first place, now we finally have an opportunity to get him back, and what, you don't want to because of her?" His voice cracks on the last word, and he pushes Thomas against the wall. "Because deep down inside," he continues, "you still care about her, don't you? Just admit it."

"Newt I-"

"Don't lie to me!" Newt slams Thomas back against the wall, and I jump, as does everyone else. "Don't. Lie. To me." He steps back, lowering his hand from Thomas's chest and looking down.

"Sorry," he mutters, then turns to us. "Sorry." He walks towards the door, where a flight of stairs leads out of the room, rubbing at his arm.

"I'll go talk to him," I say, walking towards the exit.

Newt is sitting on the roof, his legs dangling over the edge of the building when I find him.

"Hey," I sit down beside him, "you wanna tell me what that was all about?"

He doesn't say anything, just pulls up the sleeve of his jacket. On his arm, black veins surround a deep scratch, spreading outwards.

"Oh," I say, and he nods, turning his hand and looking at the infection. "Why didn't you tell me?"

"Didn't really think it would matter," he looks at me, and I can see the sadness in his brown eyes.

"Newt, of course it matters!" I say, searching his face.

"How?" he asks, and I sigh, looking away then back at his face.

"I promise," I say, "I will get you the serum. If it's the last thing I do, I'll bloody save you."

"You and your hero complex," he smiles, "one of the things about you that drives me insane."

"I don't have a hero complex," I say automatically.

"Yeah, you do."

"Whatever. It doesn't matter. How long has it been like this?" I look back at his arm.

"Happened at the checkpoint, one of them scratched me. All I know," he pulls his sleeve back down, "is that WICKED put me in that Maze for a reason. Maybe it was literally just to tell the difference between immunes like you, and people like me."

"We can fix this, ok? I promised that I'll get you the serum, and I will."

"No," he says, turning to look me in the eyes, "this is about Minho. He needs us, and if there's even a tiny chance that we can get him out of there, we're taking it. No matter the cost."

"Yeah," I nod, "yeah I understand. But my promise still stands."

"See?" he smiles, "Hero complex."

I lean forward to kiss he cheek, but he meets me halfway, putting one hand around my back and kissing my lips.

We kiss for a long time, probably longer than is appropriate. When we pull apart, I rest my head on his shoulder, looking up at the huge walls looming over us. The sun is just slipping behind them when I hear footsteps.

Turning, I see Thomas walking towards us. I get up, kissing Newt one more time.

"I'll let you two talk," I say, turning to go. He grabs my hand, looking up into my face.

"(Y/N)?"

"Yeah?"

"I love you so much, ok?"

"I love you too, Newt, more than you'll ever know."