chapter 4

I sit and wait while Mrs.Gobbins takes her time to get to the point. I don't know why she is stalling for time. 

I get impatient and finally ask, "Mrs. Gobbins what is it that you wanted to see me about? If it isn't anything important could i get back to work now, there is a lot to do today. " 

I half expect her to get mad at me  but she smiles and just says,"It's just a favour that i want to ask you. Sure, if you want to, you could write it into an article. I need you to clear your schedule for a day, visit the Apple orchard a hour away from town and interview the owner."

Since that is where my parents get their supply of apples and I happen to know that the owner is my boss's son I nod to tell her I will do it. 

" But why is it that you want me to interview him right now Mrs Gobbins, is there something important coming up?" I ask before she leaves. 

"My son has been managing an orchard for a few years now and he refuses to advertise in any way. I know if you go and ask him a few questions and explore the orchard he will not oppose it. I hope there won't be any problems." She replies quietly before leaving only to come back and say," oh, Mr.Cummins will be joining you too. He is an old friend of my son and don't you think the company is worth it?". 

Before I open my mouth to reply, she walks away and I sit in my office trying to process the conversation that just took place. 

I pack up my things, and leave. While i am on my way home, i get a call from an unknown number and when I pick up it's Toby who says "Hi, i got your number from Mrs. Gobbins, I'm sure she told you about meeting up with Mark, her son. I just wanted to know where you would like to meet up?". 

After a few seconds pass, I get back to my senses and release my breath which i didn't realize I was holding and say" let's, meet up at the restaurant in half an hour!"

To which he says,"See you then Lucy!” and hangs up.  I walk to the restaurant as quickly as I can. 

As soon as i find Amanda working, I signal for her to make time for me and wait. She meets me 5 minutes later and I tell her everything.

 " You are either very lucky or just that unlucky" she says trying to stop her laughter.

 " I mean you get to spend time with Toby but is this what you are comfortable doing? It's okay to say no to your boss if something makes you uncomfortable, you know? " She reminds me. 

"I don't really mind the task as such , though sometimes I do wish she considers asking me if I'm okay doing it. The Toby part is well...I don't really know how I feel. I mean we have spoken a couple of times but not enough to take a road trip with him! Well I guess I’ll be getting to know more about him now.” I sigh thinking about it. 

Amanda leaves soon after to work and I go ask for leave from  Miss Meg and explain the situation to her. She immediately grants me my leave and i tell her that I'll make it up to her next week. She just gives me a smile and asks me to not worry about it and that i should just focus on my task. 

I wait for Toby to show up and just like clockwork, he shows up on time. He gives me a polite smile and I do the same. We then get into his car and he starts to drive away. As we are on our way , I am too awkward, as usual,  to initiate conversation but thankfully Toby breaks the ice first and asks me if I would like to listen to any music. I tell him I wouldn't mind listening to anything. 

"So do you have any favourite genre or musicians?” he asks while turning on the radio.

"I do like Taylor Swift, Lorde, James Arthur,Ed Sheeran to name a few", I say.

  "That's quite interesting" is his only reply. 

Like the universe is maybe trying to take my side, Perfect by Ed Sheeran starts playing on the radio. I immediately start humming to it almost on instinct. When I notice his eyes on me for a brief second, I almost hide my face in embarassment. I can feel the blood rushing to my face. I probably look like a beet. To my utter astonishment, he starts humming along to the song too. 

 I'm dancing in the dark with you between my arms

Barefoot on the grass, listening to our favorite song

When you said you looked a mess, I whispered underneath my breath

But you heard it, darling, you look perfect tonight

I look up at him and I resume humming and we almost start singing it out loud together for the rest of the song. 

For a while, there's a comfortable silence between us like a tacit understanding. Song after song starts playing on the radio and we take turns to sing to a couple of songs. We both have our moments where we sneak a glance at each other, too quick to miss if you didn't pay attention. 

" Now that you know my choice of music, why don't you tell me yours" I ask, after a while. " But I see we do enjoy the same kind of music" 

" I don't necessarily have a specific musician or genre that I like. I listen to any song that can make me feel something. There has always been something about a song with a story that makes you want to sing out loud especially if you are in the car. It helps if the other person sings, so I am happy you sing along too. " He says in the most charming voice I have heard. 

" I don't usually sing out loud unless I am with my best friend" i say. " I don't know, i was surprised when you started humming too and it just seemed like the natural thing to sing after that. " I say while trying to hide the big smile on my face. 

" I don't want it to sound creepy, but i was glad when Mrs. Gobbins told me you would be accompanying me today. I know I am new in town but I feel like we could get to know each other. I don't mean to be too forward but I like talking to you. There's just something about you that seems genuine and I would like to find out more if you'll let me."  He says, and my mind is having a party on its own while my heart is melting ever so slowly. 

" I'd like that, and i am glad you said this today. You actually made a really good impression on my mom too the other day. I am happy that even though my task was last minute, I get to spend time with you." I manage to say, surprisingly in a calm tone despite what I’m feeling inside. 

As he is about to say something else, the orchard comes into view. So, we each give the other a smile, almost silently agreeing to continue the conversation later.