Chapter 21

I open my eyes and blink till they adjust to the light. I look around and it's an unfamiliar room and after looking around I figured it must be a hospital room, I soon spot my parents. They are sitting on the chairs beside my bed and talking quietly. They looked tired and worried.

My mom is the first to notice me and she immediately grabs my hand. There's a smile on her face that doesn't reach her eyes. My dad gets up and stands beside my mom with his hands on her shoulders.

" I'm so glad you are awake. We were so worried." My mom says with tears in her eyes. But she is smiling. I squeeze her hand in return.

I try opening my mouth but it feels dry, so I gesture to my mom for water. She hands me a cup and I drink it all in a gulp.

" I'm going to call the doctor now," my dad says and goes out of the room. My mom moves her chair closer to the bed and hold my hands with one of her hands and uses her other hand to brush my hair in slow, soothing movements.

"I'm okay, I just feel a little groggy and I think I have a headache." I touch my forehead and see that it's bandaged up and that's when it hits me. I remember the fight and Amanda was on the ground and I hit my head against a tree.... The entire incident comes back to me and I ask my mom," Mom, how is Amanda, where is she? What happened? I don't remember anything after hitting my head. Please tell me she's okay. What about Mathew and Henry ? Mom, they can't get away. I couldn't watch Amanda get hit by Mathew but I couldn't do anything to help her ? " By now my face is stained with tears.

" Honey, please don't cry. Amanda is okay. She's in the other room resting. She has bruises on her abdomen, arms, and legs but she'll be fine. You had to get stitches, so they put you under anesthesia. You've been sleeping for a few hours now. Her parents are with her too. You can see her once the doctor says you can get up okay? " Just as my mom stops talking, the doctor enters the room.

The doctor does her basic checks on me and says that I am fine and should be able to go home in a few hours. " You are lucky you didn't hit your head super hard. You just have a concussion and I had to give you stitches. But you must have been in shock to pass out. I'm glad you finally woke up. If there are any issues, let me know." She says and leaves the room after she's done with the check up along with my dad who is talking to her about the discharge procedures.

" Mom, where's Toby", I ask, suddenly remembering that I haven't seen him since the morning before the incident.

My mom starts laughing immediately after my question. " Toby is in the police station along with Ashlyn. She's a witness to the assault and he's making sure they get punished. He wanted to be here when you woke up but the doctor said it would be a few hours, so I asked him to deal with that first. He insisted on staying but your father and I said we'd be here for you, so he had no choice but to go. "

I blush a little at that and before I can say anything else, my mom adds," Your dad called him when he went to get the doctor. He's on his way don't worry. "

" Mom, I don't remember what happened after I passed out. Do you know who brought us to the hospital?" I ask, trying to piece together the whole story.

" Well, I don't think you must have seen it but after you hit your head, Mark and Toby fought with Mathew and Henry. Ashlyn had noticed your screams and called Mark and they rushed to you. Luckily, Toby was also on his way and he rushed to the scene as soon as he heard you scream. They called the ambulance and the police. When Mark called us to tell us what happened, we immediately made our way to the hospital. You were getting stitches then and I was scared. They said you haven't woken up since you passed out, but when the doctor took the scans, there wasn't any injury. Your dad nearly, freaked out when he saw all the blood on your clothes. But I'm glad you are okay. Do you want something to eat? " She says and I can see her face relax and free up a bit. Her slump shoulders relax too after she is done.