Chapter 20

*This chapter contains scenes that some readers may find disturbing"."Reader discretion is  advised."Intended for mature audiences only.*

We stop talking as soon as we see Henry and Mathew approaching us. We stay still, hoping they will pass by and not stop but to our utter dismay they stop right infront of us. 

We try to look away and pretend to not notice but obviously nothing was going to stop them from staying right there in front of us. " Happy birthday Amanda", says Mathew. 

"Uh, thank you. But if you can excuse us, we have to leave now", replies Amanda and she gets up quickly pulling me up with her. 

" What's the hurry Amanda, I was just wishing you a happy birthday. I haven't seen you all weekend. I didn't even drop by your party because I didn't want to make you unhappy. But now you are just walking away from me like I'm your nightmare or something", Mathew asks in a mocking tone that makes me look at his face. He has a slight grin and his eyes were fixed on Amanda. 

" You weren't invited to the party. I have nothing to do with you, so I'm glad we didn't run into each other at all. You're nothing to me anymore. I really don't want to see you or hear anything you have to say. So please excuse me. I don't want to be here." Amanda says and is about to walk away when he grabs her hand and stops her. Amanda comes to a halt, which also stops me because she's holding on to me with her other hand. 

" Not so fast princess". Mathew yells. I cringe at that word. It's what he used to call Amanda when they were dating. 

Amanda finally looks at him and I can sense she is very tense as her grip is  getting tighter and makes me wince because it's starting to hurt but I stay still. 

" I have a lot to say and today you are going to listen. I saw you being cozy with Mark the other day. I wasn't at the party, but I did see you both holding hands and I can't stand it. " He says in a tone that sends chills down my spine. 

Amanda finally lets go of me and faces Mathew. I look at him too and notice that Henry is holding on to him and stopping him from moving any further.

" Listen to me loud and clear, it's been a year since we broke up. I told you that day that I never want to see you again. I meant it then and I mean it now. You know it better than anyone why we broke up. So please, let me go and let me live my life. " Amanda says in the firmest tone but I can sense she was scared. She has every reason to be scared. I remember it like it was yesterday. The day they broke up. It was horrible. 

" But I have changed. I got help. I can control my anger now. I am not violent anymore. I swear I'll take better care of you. I am a changed person. I will never cheat on you again. I promise to be by your side and love you. So, take me back and you will not regret it." Mathew pleads but there was no sincerity on his face. He was actually smiling and not a smile that you could sympathize with. 

" If you really changed, you won't harass me like this. You will leave me alone. I don't have any feelings for you anymore. I hate you. I will never get back together with you again, no matter what you say. " Amanda says and starts walking away without waiting for a reply. I follow behind her, but my body is jerked back before I take another step. 

Before I can register what is happening, Mathew pulls me back and shoves me aside and I fall on the ground on my back. Amanda looks back at that very moment and comes to help me up. But Mathew hold her by the waist and stops her. 

" It must be because of Lucy that you have changed right. I know you still love me. I know I do. When I saw you talking happily with Mark, I couldn't take it. I can't stay away from you anymore. I love you Amanda. Please don't walk away from me. " Mathew says while still holding on to Amanda while she is struggling to get out of his hold. 

I try to get up but am stopped by Henry who is now holding me down. " You need to let them figure it out themselves. I have seen him suffer for Amanda. I'm sorry but I have to do this." 

I try to push him away from me and start to move away but he grabs me by the shoulder and pulls me back. Then he puts one hand around my shoulder and one around my waist and tightens his hold. " I can't let you go. Not right now. As soon as they finish talking, I'll let you go."

" Please let me go. You know how cruel Mathew can be. You know what he did to her last time. You didn't do anything last time either, please help me to stop him. He might be your best friend, but I can't see him hurt Amanda again. I have to stop him. I know you aren't as bad as him." I try to plead but he only chuckles at that. 

" You know nothing about me", is all he says. 

" Why are you doing this? I thought you were different. Don't be like him Henry. I thought we were friends. " I beg him with tears. 

" Friends.... You don't know anything. I liked you Lucy. But seeing you with that Toby guy makes me so angry inside. You never knew how I felt and you still don't. But he's just an outsider, who knows how long he'll stay. One day you will be mine". Henry says in the coldest tone I have ever heard him speak in.

" What!! You liked me. We can talk about this, but for now please let me go. You say you like me, so please just let me help my best friend. I can't see her get hurt. You know he'll beat her up. " I try to convince him. 

" I can't and won't let you go right now. We will talk about this but on my terms. You'll be mine someday Lucy. I'll wait. But Mathew needs me to hold you off and that is what I am doing." He says without even a slight worry on his face. 

I see Amanda struggling to get away from Mathew and she's screaming now while he's shouting at her like a maniac. I scream at Henry to let me go but he only tightens his hold on me and then I scream at Mathew to get away from Amanda but it doesn't deter him. 

" Mathew please let me go. I can't do this with you anymore. I won't get back together with you."Amanda screams at him. 

" Well, you leave me no choice then." He punches her in the stomach and she lets out a loud scream. He doesn't stop at that and he turns her around and slaps her and kicks her when she falls down. 

I can't see it anymore. This is exactly how he was a year ago. He beat her till she had bruises all over her body and three broken ribs. If I hadn't found her in time, he would have done worse. I know what he's capable of. He put other people in the hospital before. His rage has no end. I have to stop this, I let out a loud scream, trying to get free and to make Mathew stop, but he doesn't. He picks her back up and slaps her harder than before and she's back on the ground. 

I move my arms around in an attempt to shove Henry away but it doesn't help at all. " You've got to do better than that my little Lucy. I am stronger than you." He whispers in my ear. I struggle a bit more before I move my head back and bang it against his face. 

His hand immediately moves to his nose which is bleeding now. I am free of his hold and start to run away to Amanda. As soon as I reach them, a hand pulls my hair back and before I know it, Henry drags me back and he shoves me into the tree." You think you can hit me and get away with it." He says.

My head hits the tree trunk with a lot of force, and I fall down. I can see blood dripping down from my forehead, but I am too weak to get up. I hear Amanda scream after seeing me and the panic on Henry's face. In that moment, Mathew is distracted by the scene and he looks in our direction. Amanda screams for help and starts to slowly get up and walk towards me, taking slow steps clutching her stomach, wincing in pain. This time Mathew doesn't stop her. I see her approaching me and I hold a hand out to her. I can't really see anything clearly anymore. I feel someone holding my hand and saying, " please stay with me Lucy. Please hold on. You'll be okay". 

After that, all I remember seeing before losing consciousness is three figures come into the scene and everything goes blank.