Chapter 1 - Beginnings

cruel and cold, like wind on the seas

will you ever return to me?

hear my voice, sing with the tide

my love will never die

Ngaio woke up. It was that song again - a song she'd been hearing in her dreams for weeks, maybe months now. A song her mother used to sing to her when she was young. It was strange - how her mother sung so often about the sea, spoke of it regularly, and yet Ngaio had never seen her so much as make contact with the water that surrounded the hut. Sometimes, when it was late and her mother thought she was asleep, she'd catch her staring longingly in the direction of the ocean.

Of course, the other unsolved mystery was her father. All Ngaio knew about him was that there was a lot to be found out. Her mother had an annoying habit of just not answering any questions she asked about him. Ngaio supposed it was to try to stop her asking, but she should have known it would just peak her interest.

An idea had started to grow in Ngaio's mind. Life here could be boring - with only the occasional visit from a pirate to spice things up. She'd heard from their conversations that Tia Dalma's knowledge and spells were sought after by many, but few were brave enough to actually pay her a visit. After all, her mother could be quite intimidating.

Ngaio knew what she wanted now - she wanted to leave. But she wasn't sure how her mother would react. After all, she'd never left the swamp before.

"Mama, I want to leave."

"Ok." Ngaio frowned in confusion.

"What?"

"I said you can go. I knew you wanted to. I have a ship and enough of a crew to get you to Tortuga. You should probably dread your hair before you go though. Easier to take care of. Braids are just messy. And... don't forget your locket." Ngaio just stood there, half shocked, half confused. Of course she wouldn't forget her locket. It played the song - her mother's song - when she opened it, so it was like having a piece of her with her at all times.