30

Xander

3:05 am the clock flashed on the dashboard. I drove the car to the same beach where Chief Mathews had brought Aria and me for community service thinking I'd be able to clear my head but so far I had no luck with that. I tried to sleep for a good hour or so but the car seat felt uncomfortable and I couldn't find a proper sleeping position so I gave up. I had turned on the radio for entertainment and company, listening to nonstop upbeat pop music as it was either that or country music so opted for pop instead.

The radio was playing a Taylor Swift song when halfway through they stopped it for a news bulletin.

"This is Andrew from Radio One we had to interrupt our all night non-stop music train for an emergency news alert. The Harpton Town Hall has caught fire, authorities say the fire is under control but has made extensive damage. Authorities urge residents not to come over to the site as crowding is already causing problems for the firefighters. Anyone at or around the site is urged to go home. More updates will be given at the early morning news bulletin at 6"

I quickly started up the car and drove back towards town. Although the RJ clearly said no one should go to the site, I had the feeling I needed to be there. Turning the car around making the twenty-minute drive back to town. Even in the darkness, the smoke could be clearly seen a mile away as I neared town hall. I parked the car a few blocks away from Town Hall, knowing that it would be crowded around townhall plus I didn't want the car to be in the way of firefighters or police. As it was cold I pulled my hoodie over my head and started running towards Townhall.

It was utter chaos at the center of town, it was almost four yet so many people had gathered that I could barely move through the crowd. The Townhall meant a lot to the people of Harpton it was one of the oldest buildings in town and a huge part of our heritage. Many were crying and wondering who was the monster who caused this.

From afar I could see my dad and brother talking to Chief Mathews, strangely Aria's dad was with them as well but he was having a separate conversation with the head of the fire department. As I searched the crowd, I also noticed Aria talking to Dave away from everyone she seemed upset so I went up to them.

"I really don't know what to make of this Dave?" I heard Aria say as I neared them.

"Make what of what?" I asked. Both of there heads pivoted to the side in shock.

"Dude! What the hell?!" Dave yelled first

"You absolute a hole!" Aria muttered angrily before wrapping her arms around my neck.

"Is everything ok?" I asked confused about their reaction.

"Is everything ok?!" Aria repeated angrily pushing me away and slapping my shoulder for added measure.

"Ouch! What was that for!"

"I've been calling you since forever to no reply. Dave and I have been worried sick, he called all your friends and I even had to resort to tracking down your phone cause we were worried you'd done something stupid. How dare you that to me!!" Aria ranted slapping my chest some more.

"Well, I'm sorry. I lost my phone, I tried looking for it but I was so angry at the time and I went to a few different places so it could anywhere" I explained "wait you said you tracked my phone, do you know where it is?"

Aria's demeanor suddenly changed, she started fidgeting seeming nervous and anxious.

"Umm, do you remember where you had been?" She asked

"Yeah, where about town had you been?" Dave added. He seemed equally anxious not looking me in the eye.

"I went to the diner at first but I didn't feel that hungry so I just ordered a coffee to go, drove around town, then decided to..." suddenly the realization hit me causing a cold sweat go down my spine "came to the park in front of Town Hall and drank the rest of the coffee on the bench"

"I left my phone on the bench didn't I?" It wasn't a question but more of a life-shattering realization. Aria bit her lip not knowing what to say while Dave let out a frustrated breath which was the first time I had ever seen him at a loss for words.

"I'm screwed" I said horrified looking at the ruins of Townhall.

"But where did you go after here?" Dave asked "when you left it wasn't on fire, was it?"

"What are you saying that I did this?" I muttered angrily being careful that the crowd around us wouldn't hear.

"No he doesn't mean that" Aria said taking his side for some reason "but Xander we need to know where you were"

"I drove to the beach and tried to get some sleep in the parking lot" I said "and no it wasn't on fire when I left"

"Was there anyone else? Did you see someone?" Dave asked

"No I didn't see anyone in all of town square" I shook my head.

"I think you should talk to Chief Mathews" Aria suggested

"What?!" I seriously couldn't believe she wanted me to do that.

"She's right Xander, he's literally the only one. Once they find the phone you're screwed better to get ahead of them and explain yourself" Dave agreed.

"Wait hold up since when have you two become a team and how will I explain this to Chief Mathews when you two barely believe me!" I had real mixed emotions on one side I didn't want to go to jail on the other my girlfriend and best friend were suddenly chums.

"Xander, I don't have a doubt in my mind that your behind this and Chief Mathews knows as well maybe he can help and in turn you can help in the investigation. You must've overlooked something while you were here" Aria said

"And we kind of bonded while trying to find you, Aria and I are this close to being bffs" Dave added

"Good to hear" I said sorely.

I took a deep breath pulling at my hair slightly in frustration. I guess I had no other choice but to talk to Chief Mathews. Looking over towards him, he was now addressing the crowd telling them to go home which had dispersed quiet a bit since I had arrived.

"Ok I'm going over to him. Wish me luck"