Chapter 25 : The real enemy

Start from the beginning

"All right, let's talk about your new friend. What's her name again? Suzy?"

"Yeah, she's researching her work. Since she'd talked to me about it and asked if I could help her, I agreed to let her come to my lectures," 

"I hear she was getting a little popular with the guys at the university. Even the students in the engineering department know about it. You know they're the first to target women older than them,"

"Too bad for them that Suzy's not into this stuff. You should have seen the face of Bryan and his gang in class when he threw an inappropriate remark at her and she put it back. It was hilarious," I laughed, remembering the look on the poor guy's face. He was already getting on my nerves making jerky comments to Jennie. If I were a student among them, I would have already taught him a good lesson. Unfortunately, my status as a professor only allowed me to warn his behavior and nothing more.

"Of course she's not interested in these retards. The chick's got a big crush on you, you can tell a mile away," 

"What do you mean?" 

"I mean what I mean. You may be young with a doctorate, but you really can't decipher when a chick tries to seduce you. Rosé and I were thinking if this new friendship would annoy Jennie Kim. I think Rosé will owe me three meals," she rubbed both her hands anticipating all the fancy restaurants she was going to make Rosé suffer. This girl was evil, especially when we all know that her life revolved around chicken.

A word of advice, never bet with Jisoo because she always wins in the end. 

"You're wrong. Suzy and I are just friends. Although my mother wanted to match us, I have no intention of moving forward in this relationship," I took a sip of my delicious coffee but realized I'd drunk the last drop. Angry and frustrated, I hadn't had enough for the morning. Next time, I won't talk to Jisoo before my classes because I find myself sweating in front of her questions.

"Whatever you say, I know what I'm saying. And I'm also saying that Jennie Kim doesn't seem to like all this. I never thought I would say this, but these little stories between professors and students are funnier than I could imagine," she wiped her fake tears from the corner of her eyes and stood up, Anyway, my students are waiting for me. I'll catch you later my friend, good luck,"

Once again, I was left with all the conversation we were having and I felt stupid for not having understood everything. There was no doubt that she had heard or seen things that I was not aware of and the idea of being clueless in the story bothered me. But this whole thing could have waited. The work was still important and the students needed me.

JENNIE'S POV

The last few days have gone by as fast as my last vacation. Yesterday, Lisa, or rather Professor Manoban, handed out our reports. She seemed satisfied and proud of us, I mean I was too. If I had to take a look back at all my years of study, I have never worked as hard as I did this year. And if someone asked me where this motivation came from, I wouldn't know what to tell them except that Lisa would be the cause of this miracle.

I'll let you imagine what kind of reward I get after the class yesterday. 

Anyway my parents have never been so happy to have my first name in the same sentence as report card. They were currently in Quebec for their business trip. Mom had sent me different pictures of landscapes covered with snow that were hard to see the houses. On that occasion, I told them that I had received my report and when the suspense became unbearable for my parents, I announced my excellent scores even though they were not fixed. I would never have believed for the pride in their eyes, I didn't know it could be so beautiful. 

My father had suddenly become enthusiastic about coming back to Seoul and celebrating this event. They were so happy that it was becoming ridiculous. But somehow I liked to see them like that. It was a new and unknown feeling that my parents were proud of me. In recent months, many things have changed in me consciously or unconsciously. Those were positive changes, I think. That's what my friends say. They said I was thinking less about myself and more about other people. I evaluated my actions before I acted. 

But I still often act like a spoiled brat.

I guess that's my asset because it makes Lisa punish me savagely in the corners of the school again. You have no idea how aggressive she can be when she wants to be. If there's one thing I want, it's for her to kidnap me in the middle of the street at night and do the craziest things to me.

Okay, this may sound insane, but if it's with Lisa, I'm sure it's worth it. 

And I think I just let the dark side of me express itself. 

Enough daydreaming because I just saw Miyeon in front of the restroom. If I wasn't so lazy, I would have crossed the campus to go to the building across the block, but I hadn't made as much effort to avoid that witch. 

"Well, well, well, Jennie Kim," she smirked. May all the demons remain calm before I rip that ugly smile off her face that she should be happy that I want to help her.

"Miyeon. If you'll excuse me, I'd like to use the restroom," I was trying to make my way through and somehow avoided confronting her.

"Are you going to go check your vagina for rashes? I imagine sessions with Ms. Manoban can't be easy," she faked a pout. 

"It's my vagina, but thanks for your concern. Ms. Manoban takes very good care of it if you want to know," I didn't want to answer like that but that chick was pushing me to the limit. She was vicious, she made herself look like an angel in the eyes of others when she was worse than anything else in this world.

"You don't even try to deny it. What kind of girl are you? Sleeping with your teacher hoping to pass the year? Wouldn't you call that a whore?

Miyeon was capable of anything, but the only thing she didn't know about me was that insults didn't touch me, especially hers. 

"You can call it what you want, but at least I'd pass my year and I wouldn't have to deal with your disgusting ugly face for the rest of my life," 

Angry bull in sight.

I had two options. Either I could leave the scene now and avoid her circus, or I could stay and watch the show with her hysterical screams and pretend to be a victim. Suddenly, the idea of going to the restroom was gone. 

"You know, Kim, if I wanted to, I could report to the principal the dirty stuff you're doing with our professor, but I'm not going to do it because I want to enjoy the show," her confident dirty smirk was back and it wasn't a good thing. That bitch was surely plotting something. 

Be careful it doesn't backfire. You shouldn't get involved in things that don't concern you," I winked at her and swung on my heels to walk with my chin up. Miyeon was the kind of girl who liked to see other people fall apart, but I wasn't going to give her that satisfaction. 

But her threats didn't get out of my head for the rest of the day. I knew that she and her group didn't get along with mine, and so far they've never dared to do anything more than call us whores. It may seem shocking to have a bunch of kids in university, but some people spend their lives looking for shit.

I had a bad feeling about this, but that didn't mean I was going to hide because I wasn't afraid of anyone.