So, I had to start all over again. The problem for me though was that I was determined to post it on that same day. That's not the reason for the short chapter length; I just wasn't good with making long chapters back then. So, I got to work and by the time I was finished it was around 5 p.m. It was finally time to post the story and I was nervous. Like I said earlier, my confidence sort of tanked and I had legitimate fears that I may get harshly ridiculed like with my second fanfiction. To my absolute shock, I actually got a review that was good. Not only that, but I was under the belief that my stories were the only thing that got readers through my bad writing, and yet my writing was the thing that was complimented. The very subject that probably made the worst impression on readers and I got complimented for it. I had to let that sink in for a bit.

I was also afraid I would be criticized for getting characterization wrong, despite studying the game to make sure I would get the characters to act and respond how they should. In fact, I'm always worried about that one. The rest is history from there. I wanted to focus on the development of the characters and the strengthening of their bonds. I always reminded myself that one nice moment between two people does not instantly make them the best of friends, because I wanted to avoid the same pitfalls that got me before. This time I wanted substance, not just style and took my time with the characters. It was also because of this story that I realized that while good establishing character moments are important, I don't have to dump every single character trait on the first go. Which brings me to the biggest risk this story faced when writing it: Shujinkou.

I mentioned this before but I wanted to make sure that I didn't create a bland protagonist, but I also couldn't think of anything that would have made him stand out. It was my first time telling a slice of life story so it's not like I could have a spectacular opening scene that involves sneaking into an enemy camp or see a man lifting a car over his shoulders. There was also a little pressure regarding the fact that if I couldn't get people to like him enough, the story was doomed. Giving him his daydreaming quirk was to remedy his blandness but before that became a genuine personality trait; I kind of viewed it as more of a gimmick/crutch to rely on until I could give Shujinkou something. The same goes for his cheek scratching tic. When I did get a semblance of an idea, it was that Shujinkou would be kind, but also sort of indifferent to the world around him as well. That obviously didn't last long and I'm not even sure how well that idea translated to the story. But it worked out for the best because that character evolution also served as great character development in my personal opinion. I also had the idea of having him compare his situation to fictional media, but I never found a moment for that trait to show and I eventually forgot about it.

The thing was, I didn't want him to be just a pair of eyes to view the world of the story but an actual character. Believe or not, throughout the entire first act, I always asked myself whether Shujinkou was a generic avatar for the reader or was there enough to him that made him stand out as his own character. It was because of that question I always asked myself that I would always add little things that weren't always important but felt human and unique to his character.

What could he possibly do when upset? He may hide in a cardboard box to think out his problems. How could he possibly confront a major moral decision? His shoulder angel and devil can appear in the form of Mickey Mouse. What will he do sometimes when reading at home? He may play with a bubble pipe to feel distinguished. I made sure to put in little stuff like those that don't affect the story, but I thought added more character to him.

I also always made sure to show off how his thought process works and how he can sometimes get lost in his own thoughts, like in the Chapter 52 where it begins with him thinking of his history playing the first three Sly Cooper games. Far from the indifferent daydreamer he was at the start, Shujinkou became a kind individual who cares for those around him no matter how strong their bond is and is willing to do things that he would consider awkward just to keep them from being upset, while at the same time seeing himself as nothing special.